Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floppy shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Apr 20, 2005.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

It's not on a chevy though, it's on the furd dump truck the cemetery got. It has the 4 speed just like my 86 K5. The problem is the gear shift is very floppy. I can put the truck in gear and wiggle the shifter side to side almost a foot. Makes downshifting up a mountain exciting and I'm grinding away cuz I can't tell 3rd gear from 1st or 4th from 2nd. What is the problem with this? I'm thinking it's just the shifter itself. On my tranny there's a little cup I push down on and twist and take the whole shifter out. Do you think replacing that on my furd will fix thins?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think there is a nylon bushing that the ball of the shifter rests on. When it wears out or breaks, the shifter flops all over the place. Its been a while, but I seem to remember changing this in my Ford 1 ton years ago-it got so bad I couldn't tell which gear I was in or which gear I was shifting to.Pop the shifter out and look in the housing for the bushing. Or maybe your shifter has broken off the shear pin that locates the shifter in the housing.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive never sene nylon bushing there on a four speed truck trans

is there such thing ?

when and what models ? not on ch465 i know,

hmm

maybe try another shift handle ?

good luck