Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Floppy tilt steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by frickenwirthless, Jul 9, 2005.

1. frickenwirthless

frickenwirthless Newbie

So, my steering wheel has gotten progressively sloppier, and now it's to the point that you can push up and down on the steering wheel, and I get like 3 inches of travel. I read in a 4 wheel drive magazine that on dodge trucks and suvs they had this same problem, and all you have to do to fix it is take it apart, and throw some lock tight on the bolts that hold it together and it's fixed. Is this true for my 88 suburban tilt steering wheel? Anybody else experienced this?

thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

yea thats the tickit but dont wait to long or the ends will break off and the screws will not tighten :hack:

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the common fix is to locktite only the 3 bolts you can get too. The fourth is virtually infreakinpossible to get too, PLUS, they are inverted torx heads so you'll have to buy some special tools, unless you happen to know ME really well. (well enough to "borrow" my NOT LOANED OUT TOOLS!) :D

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I personally tighten all 4, not impossible to get to if you use a pivot pin puller to take the tilt head off, and a regular 6 point socket will work to tighten them if you don't have a inverted torx