Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowmaser Which series is how loud?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jun 11, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Well after 3 years of tack welding the existing exhaust system that I have togeather, i've finally ran out of metal. Too bad you can't weld rust /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . I currently have a 90 K5 with a single out the rear set up. I'm looking to go with a dual set up from the cat (what used to be the cat is now 3" ID pipe) and get a splitter muffler to take it to duals from the rear of the muffler to out the back. It's my daily driver so I don't want anything TOO loud. I've seen this one 40 series flowmaster muffler that does exactly what I need on Ebay for @ $50. I think I have 1 50 series on It right now (it's tollerable).

My muffler guy is going to bend what ever pipe I need, so I don't have to worry about that...

How loud is this single to dual deal? I really like the flowmaster sound, but am open to any other suggestions ya'll might have.

Thank you

Jeremy

2. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

I have 89 with true duals with no cats and 50s right now. It's somewhat loud but I like it. If you are happy with the 50 stick with it, the 40 maybe to loud for your liking.

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Flowmasters have many differant models if you have a summit or jegs catalog they go in to detail on how loud each series is 40's are the original flowmasters and the loudest, 50's are just a bit quieter.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Got sound?
    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10/indexf5.html

I had true 2 inch duals with 40 series and had no cats for a while. Sounded great outside but it droaned inside. Normal volume converstaion was not possible on the hwy. It was better once the Cats were installed but it was still lound and still had to speak up. The problem is the mufflers are under the passenger compartment and the passenger compartment is a big box.
    I'll never do a 4 series again but I am looking at the 70 Series for my Suburban. It's not supose to droan as bad and they are a relatively quiet muffler with some throat to it is what I have been told. I need the flow for this 454.

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

30 series:Deep powerful sound, moderate interior resonance, quieter than 50 series.
    40 series:Original Flowmaster sound,aggresive tone,noticeable interior resonance varies with RPM.
    50 series:Mellow deep sound,quieter than 40 series, mild interior resonance.
    70 Series:Mellow street sound, quietest flowmaster,lowest level of interior resonance.
    Delta Flow:mild performance sound, deep or mellow tones,minimal interior resonance
    hope this helps.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

which is deepest?
    there are trucks here that iwll drive by and you FEEL the roar before you hear it

7. bigblock44k5

40 series is the 2 chamber muffler for street/strip racing. I used to have these on my Chevelle, it was pretty loud. It also depends alot on if you have dumps or tailpipes also. Dump echo the sound off the ground and underneath the truck.

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

A turn down or some people call it a dump right after the muffler will make them seem quite a bit deeper. The sound is resonance (vibration) you feel. You will also feel it in the cab though, some like it some don't. You will get the full sound of the muffler if you do have turn downs and they will be the loudest that way. The larger the diameter pipe the deeper it will sound also.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i have turnouts on mine

i like driving by someone and hearing it bounce of their car /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

f-that if its to loud your to old, this is what you do call summit racing and ask for flowmaster racing 1 chamber muffler and put a cam in your truck trust me it will sound bad as hell /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm running true duals 50 series with no cats and a cam, in order to be able to hear my stereo I had to go with 4 12" subs 4- 6x9's and 4 tweeters plus a $hitload of amp power so when I drive by a car or stop at a light next to other cars all that sound bounces off the pavement and the cars around me, that's one way to P people off real good especially punching it at the green light /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

headers + glasspacks + cam = loud...its almost deafening in the cab so i feel sorry for the greenlight losers...and the pipe is right at ear level for a small car too...:D

13. bigblock44k5

i have headers and glasspacks also, i think it sounds like poop. i cant wait to get some flowies under that thing.

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lol
    siemtimes its nice
    never bothered me...just had to tell person on phone to "hold on" til i shift

<--wantin to get some flow 50's anyone know how much they run?

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You could split the difference and go with a 40 series Delta Flow, not as loud as the original 40 but still louder then the 50 series Delta Flow.

16. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I am running 40 series delta flows with stock manifolds, 2 1/4 pipe, dualed with no cats dumped in front of the rear axle and it will make any loose screws you have buzz inside the truck. They sound great outside, makes the ground and the truck vibrate. You can feel the ground vibrations from about 50 ft away.