Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowmaster 40 series vs. Glasspack noise level

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, May 30, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

How are the Flowmaster 40 series compared to glasspacks volume wise? At idle, cruise and under acceleration? On Flowmasters website it says that a H-Pipe is recommended for dual exhaust. Is this necessary? Will I gain anything by using one?

2. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

all i know is that glasspacks have that higher pitched noise compared to flowmasters' lower rumble, as fas as ive heard anyway. about the H-pipe, unless you plan to do it yourself, i dont think flow makes pipes compatable for 4x4 k5's, cuz of the transfer case and front axle. any of this is wrong, let me know cuz im plannin on doin flows too

Brett

3. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

4. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

in my opinion glasspacks sound horrible. flowmasters sound the best of any muffler out there to me. glasspacks are also a lot more restrictive than most.
    as far as the h pipe goes, its not neccesary but will make a slight difference in hp. maybe 1 or 2.
    flows have a good idle, not to bad at cruisin speeds unless you run turndowns, and sound killer during acceleration.
    you will have to get a shop to custom bend the pipes, but that way they'll fit perfect, some wont do it unless you run cat's but you can probably find one that will if you check around

keith

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the guy im havin do mine said he can add one more cat and it'll fit, but pipes will be REALLY close and its gonna cost me $450, installed and everything, or you can just not run true duals and run them into a big 'ol Y pipe and one high-flow cat then split it back out for dual flows, but then again, they ain't TRUE duals

Brett

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

If you want, flowmaster makes some that are 1 in, 2 out. That is what I have with the y pipe, 1 cat, 1 flow, 2 tailpipes (one on each side). the entire cat back system is available through summit for around $240 and is a simple, do it yourself install.

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I am having a whole new exhaust system put on when I swap the engine. I will be running true duals into 40 series with no cats. I had that same setup on my old pickup except with glasspacks and was just wondering how loud the 40 series were in comparison. Will I have any problems if I decide not to go with an H-pipe?

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I just got rid of the 2 glaspacks on my '87 and put flowmasters on it...the 'packs were WAY too loud...the Flowmasters are much,much quiter...I can still hear them, but it is a lower tone and not so hard on the 'ol hearing...I have no H pipe on mine (no cats either:) they were already gone when I got it (I love living in a state that doesn't require annual inspections:) )

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Forget the Glass packs and go w/ the Flows. MAN that sounds like a bad 70s catch phrase! LOL! I have 40s on mine w/ dual exhaust. No tail pipes or turn downs either. (long story)

BTW are you having Daryl do it?

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Im defiantly going with Flows. I had glaspacks on my pickup and they got really annoying after awhile. I'm having Peytons do the work on it. They did the exhaust on my pickup and I'm really happy with the work they did.

11. Pure Insanity

HEHE! Peytons is like 100 feet from my place! They did the exhaust on my buds slammed 1 ton Chevrolet when they were still in town. It was quite a challenge to fit dual 3 in. on a truck dropped 5 in front and 7 in the rear.

12. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I think I remember seeing a dropped 1 ton at Peytons when it was still downtown. Hopefully I'll be getting the exhaust done withhin the next 2 and a half weeks. Getting the truck ready to go to North Carolina. Ordered an Auto Gage tach tonight. I decided to go with a shift light. What is a good RPM to set if for for street use?

13. Pure Insanity

The truck was white w/ multi color blue stipes at the time. Its got a full custom paint job on it now. We dropped it back in late 99 or early 2000, and had the exhaust done the next week.

As far as the lite goes, Id set it at what you would consider your redline. Maybe 250-500 RPM less so the tranny has time to shift. Stock motor w/ some miles Id say dont take it above 5000. Mine has been to almost 8000. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Basicly what you want it for is so when your really getting on it you dont have to READ the tach. Pay attention to what your doing and the lite will tell you if you need to shift. Believe me you dont want to see it everytime you shift gears driving around town and such, its brite if its anything like the one I have. Just when your coming up on redline, so you know you need to click off the next gear.

BTW I am assuming you have an auto right?

14. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have a 700R4. I putting the tack in when I put the engine in so it will be a brand new engine. Its a 350 bored .030 over with flattop pistons, mild cam, headers, probably put a quadrajet on it. I won't be able to do much ignition upgrades right away, but thats ok, I just need it to run with the new engine by the end of June.

15. Pure Insanity

You could stick the tach in when you get it if you want to, its only 1 wire to the dist that you will have to mess w/ when you do the eng swap.

Even on a new motor I would set the lite at 6000. Realisicly most engines arent making any more power above that.

16. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my bro has the 40 series stealth with one in 2 out for sale for $20. it was on his camaro. if n e one wants it PM me

NITRO

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> It's not so much the difference in volume ...... It's the annoyance level of the glasspacks ! I'll never put them on another vehicle as long as I live ! Either Turbos or Flowmasters for me !

18. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

I'm putting on glasspacks, but thats because I'm a high school student and louder is better.

19. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I had glasspacks when I was in school. They were loud, but after awhile I got really sick of the sound.

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Glasspacks are higher pitched than flows. I got them just because every damn yuppie tahoe/yukon/Z71 has flows and I got sick of the sound. Glasspacks are probably the least restrictive thing out there. The 'pack rumble got annoying for me so now I have cut-outs and nuthin' around here is louder than my truck! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif