Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowmaster install HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hobbs, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

I have spent the afternoon installing this
    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3710

in my 1988 Suburban. It fit like crap. Hangers were not even close. Not enought pipe. My bigest problem is the lack of length. I need about 1-1 1/2 ft of straight pipe out of the muffler to make the hump fit over the axle.

Any suggestions? I have looked on flowmaster.com and found this.
    http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/accessories.html

Not exactly what I need. I just need a compatable 3" straight segment.

Thanks,
    Hobbs

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

NAPA/AutoZone?

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

First thing I would have done before the install would have been to mock it all up and make sure it would work. Then after finding out it would not work you should contact the place you bought it from. I have the Flowmaster Cat Back on both of my 90 K5's and they fit like a glove. Also had their dual system for my 79 Z28 I used to have. It sounds like you got the wrong parts.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Check the part number on the box. Sounds like the wrong kit.

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

First off, this was not intended as a Flowmaster sucks thread. It occured to me this a.m. that it sounded that way. To many people have had dead on flawless experiences with their systems.

I checked the parts, it is what I ordered. (the only thing that does not match exactly is that I have a 7.4L. Flowmaster does not make a system that I could find that is specific for a 7.4L. What I ordered was speced for a 1988 sub. 3/4 ton 2wd 5.7L. I thought there would be no difference bt. the two after the cat.) As to why it did not fit I am not totally sure.

I have overcome the hanger problems but still need to extend the pipe 1-2 ft. Where to find extentions that would fit this system was the intention of the thread. If going to NAPA/Autozone is the answer I feel like an idiot.

Thanks to all for advice and guidance.

Hobbs

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't think Napa and Autozone would carry something long enough in 3". Look in the phone book for an exhaust shop or someplace like Midus.

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I second the Exhust shop or contact flowmaster with the problem.....

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My experience with Napa (I used their pieces to adapt my headers to the stock pipes) at the time was that they had nothing larger than 2.5". They had maybe 18" straight sections of 2.5" and common sizes smaller, but that was it. Probably best to call before showing up. If you can trust the person answering the phone to go look. :)

I've never had luck with "chain" exhaust shops having any interest in selling me stuff bent to my specs but not installed, although I've heard that many will sell you scraps.

9. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I Have that exact kit on my '91 V2500. Like a glove.

10. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

easy answer (all of this assumes u have a welder / grinder / cutting device .. or access to them).

easy 1) find vehical with same size pipes, and borrow a few feet :D

easy 2) adapt the system short pipe (vent behind front wheels but before rears

easy 3) chop pipes before hump and let vent under the truck ... makes for a really interesting sound.

answeres 2 and 3 may or may not be legal to local emmisions laws

11. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Customchevy,
    I have been thinking like you. I have got it in really solid with a little "custom" fitting. I have it venting right over the hump. Could not install the angle to vent outward. The springs prevent the curve. With 1-2 ft of pipe I could clear the springs and add the original vent angle. Hard to describe, but the hump curve in the pipe is what I am using to hang it before the axle.

Right now it's in good. Does not rattle or shake. Pipe vents under the car after it clears the hump. Would like it to eventually vent to the side but will wait for that piece to show up in the future. I guess leave it to an Alabama redneck to "make it fit". :D

Thanks for all suggestions.

Hobbs

12. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I know everyone doesn't like to pay people to install their stuff. I am one of those people regarding other things, but since my parents own an exhaust shop and I have been around it since I was learning how to walk there are things I have learned.

If you are looking for a kit, and don't see one that fits your vehicle exactly, call the company and tell them what you need, they may be able to guide you in the right direction.

The exhaust companies (Flowmaster Magnaflow, Exc.) all reccommend professional installation, reasons why, (I know how ya feel but hang on)

Not all systems designed for you vehicle will fit your vehicle. I just put on a $600 magnaflow kit on a tahoe the other week and had to completely cut off a hanger and move it because he has autoride, so there is a compressor sitting where the hanger should be on the majority of the tahoes. On late 90's mustangs, all the magnaflow kits you have to cut the passenger side tail to get it in right after the muffler.

Most people do not have the tools for this kind of stuff, or the patience to deal with it, and in certain cases, like magnaflow's, will not warrenty the system anymore if a shop does not install it according to their wishes. If it has been hacked on, then it has been voided.

For those of us who love to do things ourselves because it's cheaper, or like me don't like other people touching your vehicle for the thought that they may screw it up. The advice I give is to be thorough with it, if the product isn't out there, call them up, tell them what you have and what you do with it and make sure it fits before you cut off your old stuff. YOu can hold up parts and get a pretty good idea if it's gonna fit or not.

Hope I helped some people and didn't affend anyone, just tryin to help a little

13. Hobbs

Hobbs Registered Member

Sound advice.

Hobbs