Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flowmaster on 4.3 vortec

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My 96 blazer is way to damned quiet, should i get a flowmaster or just yank the muffler and replace with a pipe. Not worried about a muffler law, but i dont really want a raspy ricer exhaust, one friend told me a 40 series would make it obnoxiously loud and have a deep tone...which is just what i want, but i somehow am sceptical with it beinga v6 and all. could you guess steer me in the right direction, thanks

Btw its a 96 S10 Blazer, with a 4.3 Vortec V6...currently stock exhaust

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My 4.3 has a glass pack and it sounds like crap... so don't go that route. I had a '95 Sonoma that had a y-pipe after the cat. converter and 2 straight pipes out to the back and it sounded fairly good, many people thought I had a V8. I really like the sound of FlowMasters, but haven't ever heard any on anything other than a V8.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

it is so hard to get a V6 to sound any good. my gf had a 98 S10 Blazer, she had a 40 serious on it, didnt like it, got a magnaflow, sounded a little bit better, but didnt like it so just sold the dinky little vehicle.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

YEah, I've enver heard a good sounding inline 4-6 and V6 engine before. They are funny sounding with pipes. I'd go the cheapest route sothat way you don't have a lot invested in case you hate the sound.

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i say try halking the muffler out than putting a Z shaped piece of pipe, no lie my buddys S dime truck witha 4.3 with a piece of bent pipe that looked like a Z in place of the muffler and it sounded almost like a 305/350 but without the lopey cam...
    it changes the tione the more bend are in it... have a muffler shop do it for like 20 bucks...

LUKE

6. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

got my fullsize 98 pickup w/ 4.3 vortec and have gone through many mufflers/exhuast setups trying to get it to sound good. best setup for me was just to dump it underneath my bed. i got a less aggressive flowmaster on it but it sounds damn good when in idle (like a v8) but when i floor it it rumbles pretty good w/out sounding as if it were raspy or rapped to the nuts. well theres my .02 so goodluck

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thanks, i think im going to replace the muffler with pipe first since thats the cheapest most likly.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My 92 S10 Blazer with the Vortec 4.3 had a Dynomax Ultra-flo on it. Thing sounded great...enough to fool people that it was an 8 at idle. It wasn't horribly loud as it revved up, either. It just sounded good.

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

well this post came at a great time...i just changed my oil and as i started it up I noticed I have an exhaust leak right behind the muffler.

Time to call exhaust pros and get a quote on getting it dualed out :laugh:

Would you guess recomend going regular size pipe or a bit larger, it will be cat back only. Most likly 3 inch tips, 45 degree slant. Just going to do pipe no mufflers.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you dont want a raspy exhaust, do not put duals on it. my grandpa had a '94 C1500 with a 4.3 in it. was like 2 1/2" into a dual 2 1/4" outlets, into 2 1/4" tailpipes, with 2 3/4" slash cut tips. sounded like absolute crap.

the severe bends will kill the flow of the exhaust. not a good idea, especially if you like the milage and power you currently have.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ok thanks beater back to plan A of replacing the muffler with a peice of straight pipe.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That is DEFINATELY going to sound like a ricer,,,the pipe on my mothers 4.3 broke off right before/at the muffler,,,has an interesting sound while at idle,,,but sounded like horses ass when you got on the throttle, especially hard, and only being a 4.3 in a full size 1/2 ton truck, really didn't get moving too well either.

it got to be very annoying to her and myself when i drove it, finally had a friend tack it back together for awhile.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status