Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FLowmaster Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **b**, May 7, 2000.

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

87 350tpi
    all stock

My muffler "stock" is shot....
    replacing Monday
    I would like to go with a Flowmaster 3Chamber....
    Which model # do I want???
    approx how much$$$ ???

Thanks...

2. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

don't know chambers, but i got 2 40 series 2.25 flowmasters and they run me $60 apiece.

Phil
    82K5

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Hey, I got a used 2chamber Flowmaster muffler. It has single center inlet and dual offest outlets. Also 2 44 inch chrome 2+inch in diameter exauhst tips. If intrested let me know. Im in GA, and muffler is broken in well, less than a year on it and the tips are in good shape also.
    I just swaped in a 350,with headers and went the true dual way. Already put flowmasters on old ladies Tahoe, so this is just sitting around.
    BensBones@aol.com

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

4. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

will somebody please explain the difference in sound between a flowmaster 40 series and 30 series?? I'm considering them both, I don't want on obnoxious level of noise, but i want a little more than "mellow". please explain!!

10 BOLTS O' FUN

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

The lower the number, the louder the sound. The 30's is basically the norm. Most shops also go by the number of chambers instead of the number (go figure) but there is very little difference, the higher the series, the less noise. I think there is less than a 8db defference, this is just a guess though. But if yuor puttin it on a K5 it shouldnt really matter, being that they have more road noise say vs a 2000 Tahoe, where 8-10db difference in muffler sound WOULD matter.

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

If you have a newer Blazer that is pretty quiet with the windows up, I'd go with a 3 chamber Flowmaster.
    If your truck is already noisy and you kind of enjoy a loud exhaust, then the 2 chamber ones are great.
    I've got a no emissions true dual exhaust with 2.25 inch 2 chamber Flows. They are loud, but really complement the mildly built 350. I love 'em. If you've ever been to a car show and heard every other car with that low, hollow sound...its a 2 chamber.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sorry to disagree, but the lower the number is not necesarily louder.

40s are the loudest of all, followed by the 50s, and the 30s. I had a brochure and had a comparison chart that is not in their website. There you could compare which one is which very nicely. The 40s are dual chambers, the 50s are three-chambers. I don't remember about the rest.

I have the dual 2.5" 40 series and they are not really loud. I'm glad I didn't go with anything quieter. They start to sound very very cool when you get above 4000rpm.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

8. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

So They run around 60 clams???
    IS there really that much of a differance
    With "flowmaster" iam looking also at
    a "turbo" muffler...

Again, i am running a single stock exhaust
    Any thoughts?

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go with a flowmaster unless you just want the "Name". I always put a MagnaFlow muffler on my trucks, these mufflers are actually less restrictive than flow masters. I had one on my '85 scotsdale w/350ci, this thing sounded sweet and I saw a nice improvement in power. If anyone wants some more info on these mufflers, send me an email and I'll get you some information.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I read somewhere that "Jardine" mufflers are the least restrictive of all. Don't know how they sound, though.

Flowmasters are an improvement over stock anyway. I'd say if you want a nice sound go with the 40 series. If you want a little less sound and interior resonance, go with the Deltaflow 40 series. Go to http://www.flowmastermufflers.com There you'll find all the info you want and the part number for the application you choose.

Just as a reference, 40 series are not as loud as they claim. They are only loud at WOT and high RPM. When you take off, they give a powerful rumble, but not annoying. My Blazer can barely be heard when idling.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

11. skeepwerkzaz

skeepwerkzaz Registered Member

Hi there gents! I feel that I must get in on this conversation, being that I personally know the owner of Flowmaster and can both highly recommend the product, and the company. A few of you were right stating that the lower the number is higher in sound level, but it does vary directly with the power output of your engine. For a mild small block i.e. an stocker K5 motor, a single three chamber cat-back will produce a significant power gain and throaty sound, while also keeping a sane db level in the car. If you like the hot rod sound and have the same set up, put a two chamber on it. The other thing to remember for the single exhaust guys is to replace your cat. The old "pancake" style cat's clog up when under a load (towing) and all of the performance mufflers in the world won't help if the gases are squeezin' through swiss cheese! For you guy's with older non-emissions K5's, pretty much the same thing goes, Dual exhaust-two three chambers for a nice sound, and two-two's for a hot roddy sound. For you large motor guys, three's or four's are the only way to go. Flowmasters are the only way to go! Performance through technology! I have Flo's on all of my cars..........88 K5, 95 Z-28(LT-1), 92 Vette(LT-1), and 65' GTO............
    SO MANY PROJECTS SO LITTLE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Hey, guys. Skeepwerkzaz (whatever) is right. When I bought my truck in 96 it had a Flowmaster on it and I replaced it with another. Sounds great when taking off and when cruising down the road. At idle you can tell there's something more than a stock muffler under the truck. Sounds sweet. I have a 40 series Flowmaster with duals coming off on each side. Sounds great and better performance. Flowmaster definitely has their stuff together!!

Chevy's RULE!