Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flowmaster ticking?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Schwabie, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Blazer_Schwabie

Blazer_Schwabie Registered Member

I just got a 40 series flowy put on my rebuilt 350cid motor and it ticks like a leak or something. I just had the muffler switched to a new one,to see if that was it, it wasnt.Could it be my air/fuel mixture is off? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif The carb is fairly new (yr old) edelbrock 600cfm auto choke.If you could give any help at all to fix the noise it would help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

when I shut my truck off my cats usually make a ticking noise. My mufflers might too, but I know my cats do if they are hot.

3. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

MIght you just have an exhaust leak somewhere? I know when I just got my flowmaster put on the tech (after the truck was in the air) tapped my catylitic (sp?) and dust or carbon whatever you want to call it came out of 3 hole which he welded up.

Good luck

4. Blazer_Schwabie

it only ticks when its cold then when it warms up it sounds awesome. it is annoying and i wanna know what is causing it /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Blazer_Schwabie

no cat either /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

It's probably the pipe expanding due to the heat building up. Does it tick while it cools down too? Can you hear it over the exhaust tone? Is it at the muffler, manifold/header, or towards the rear? Check your hangers and make sure they are not in a bind or or too loose.

I would not think it is in the muffler. I have had many flowmasters and have never had any internal problems with them.

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ditto I have 2 sets and haven't had this problem /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    no cat either /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good. I would say if you had a cat in there it would howl and scream like mad. Until dead that is... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sound like it could be a exhaust gasket. If you have a gasket that is going bad, it will tick untill it gets hot and expands. Try tightening all the exhaust bolts first, then check for bad gaskets.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. scott leckie

scott leckie Registered Member

I had a 78 F150 with a cold ticking problem. Turned out to be a wrist-pin problem caused by the break-in after an expensive rebuild. I was pissed!!!

11. Blazer_Schwabie

could it also be the new tail pipe? i heard there is like a lip at the end that will make it tick. there is alittle lip at the end of the pipe where it was cut, but why would it make it tick? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif