Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowmaster vs. BanksPower

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by klebmorris, Oct 1, 2002.

1. klebmorris

klebmorris Registered Member

I've been reading a lot of the posts about getting more power out of a 6.2L. Since I don't have the money to invest in a turbo nor do I really feel that it is necessary, I was wondering which of the following options might be better. Should I purchase Banks' Stinger exhaust system complete with the following at http://bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AC02&sysid=SC03 or should I go with a Flowmaster 70 series dual setup with a cold air intake modification as discussed in previous posts. I am willing to spend the necessary amount for either modification. Thank you for your help.
    Caleb

Proud owner of a 84 cucv 4" superlift, 33" BFG A/T

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

you mean like this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif :
    [​IMG]

I just need a good exhaust setup now.

3. FastFob

FastFob Registered Member

Thats a good question, Cause I'd rather
    Have a custom 4' exhaust made and make a custom intake.
    But the question remains. "Is bigger better?"
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

I'm not sure which is better for your desired setup or overall performance but i installed 2.5" 40series flowmasters on my 6.2 with the stock 2.25" dual pipes. They did free up the exhaust a good bit and made the truck alot louder. I believe the flowmasters get carbon deposits stuck in the chambers b/c my exhaust has quieted down and seems slightly restricted but still WAY better than what was on there before. BTW my motor is completely stock with 280k on it.

5. klebmorris

klebmorris Registered Member

Yeah, I guess it would look something like that. Do you have any numbers about the power gains you received?

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

How would I go about getting numbers etc. I'd probably have to take it to a race place right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

really the only thing I notice is better pickup on higher speeds. Like if I'm going 50, I can accelerate a lot faster at that speed and above. Another noticable difference is the THROATY sound. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif sounds like a suped up VETTE /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif