Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flowmaster which one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Oct 15, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

WHat is the best flowmaster muffler to buy? I have a 205 on my 85 and want a deep low sound. adn when I hit the gas I want it to be loud and deep. Also is 225 too much to pay for a flowmaster muffler and tailpipe? Or is that about right?

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

If you want loud you should get a 40 series muffler. I want it loud but withstandable so I'm going with the 50 series. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JimmyJuneau

Well is the 40 series too loud for my truck then?

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I have 40's on my blazer and don't like em to loud. I had the 50's on another truck I use to have I liked them alot better.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put a 50 series on my wifes '94 Suburban. It has the cat and then the Flowmaster behind that. It sounds nice around town, just a nice, low rumble. However, we took it on a long road trip in the spring and even in that cushy beast the drone of the exhaust got to be rather annoying. Hearing it for 12 straight hours was a bit too much. I got the cat-back kit from www. summitracing.com for, I think, $179. It installed very easily and everything lined up perfectly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I've heard that flowmasters are loud, is it because people chose the loud ones?
    Do they have silent mufflers?
    I am looking to buy some but I can't have them loud, I go on long trips and the noise is not an option.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

At the time I bought mine, the 50 series was their quietest model. They have a 70 series out now, but they don't seem any quieter than the 50 series to me. If you aren't running a cat, then the Flowmasters will sound even louder.

Really loud exhausts attract far too much attention from the local constabulary. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I prefer to remain mostly invisible to them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

I have a Detla flow 40 series (I think its the 40)...its loud when you smash the peddle but at idle it doesnt rip your ears off..

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got 40 series... It's pretty loud. Long trips can drive you crazy,but so can Swamper's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I am looking for a silent muffler, anything other than flowmaster, and still with good flow.
    I have Procomp X terrains and they are really silent and great for everything.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I am running a 3" single 40 series Flowmaster and like it so far. It does turn heads though. Shortly after I had my exhaust redone, I had to take my Blazer to get it inspected. My wife followed me down to the shop and she laughed her head off when 2 mechanics came out of the garage to see who was making the noise, as I pulled into a parking space. From what I heard they all wanted to test drive it after it was inspected. My wife's exact quote..." there is just way too much testosterone in this parking lot in response to your new exhaust." I live in the country so noise out here doesn't really matter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how long do they last? i know they dont come with a lifetime warrenty, and i would hate having to pay all that money for those things and then seeing them rot out on me..

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

also, can you run them on stock pipes? i would lieke to put some on my dads 79, he has true duals, with a 350 all stock. could i just swap the mufflers with some flows?

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not people I am worried about, my ears can't take a noisy muffler for a 5 hour + trip
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos with 2 1/4 pipes. I'd be willing to bet they'd give you the sound you're looking for. At idle, the Super Turbo sounds pretty mellow, but when you open her up she lets out a throaty roar.

The best part about Super Turbos is that they cost half of what Flowmasters do, yet still come with a lifetime warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

now thats something im looking for!! gatta have a life time on stuff like that in my opinion!!

17. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with canmorek5.I have the dynomax,and they are not bad on long trips and sound good at higher rpm's. I think the flowmasters are great on trucks, but on blazers the sound can be annoying becouse of the "cabin" that sounds can bounce around in.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

FLOWMASTER ONE CHAMBERS!!!!!!!!
    You want loud, they are loud. When you romp it and want people to think you've got mucho grande horsepower, that's what you want. And when you let off the gas, they are quiet.

But going down the road always on the gas, forget about it, it'll drive you bonkers.

19. JimmyJuneau

Ok I decided to go with the 40 seies on my truck it sounds nice. I like it Im glad I got rid of tht pos gpack I had on there.

20. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I run 50 series because 40 was way too loud for long trips in my past experiences...I also have a high flow cat so that knocks down the noise some....got a nice mellow idle and running speed, I can actually hold convo's inside my blazer unlike my truck with 40series....loud is fun but like others hear I prefer to roam in silence at times