Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowmasters ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What ones sound better, the 40's or 50's ???? Planning on Hooker headers, with 2.25 dual exhaust. Just wondering about the Flowmaster mufflers. Trying to decide if I should use 40's or 50's. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Try a search this has been discussed just recently /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had both...in 2.5". I like the 40's better, but the 50's sound almost the same. The 40's are just a bit louder.

Rene

4. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

I'm running a single 3" all the way and use 40 series muffler. I like it. It's only loud when you have the throttle open, other than that it sounds pretty cool. I think my neighbors even like them! I live in the country so no one really cares out here.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got series 40 on my truck, and I like them a lot... but around here nobody cares about emissions or noise, so if that is an issue you may want to look into a different series. Although, I'm running no cats too, if you have cats it will be a little bit quieter.

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

It really depends on what you're looking for. You ask "Which one sounds better?". What kind of a sound are you looking for?

I had a 40 series with single 3" exhaust on my '92 Camaro, and it sounded great! A very loud rumble .... you could hear me coming a mile away.

On my blazer, I wanted a relatively quiet exhaust. Something that wouldn't attract attention, be comfortable for long hauls, but still give low RPM performance. I went with the 3 chamber 50 series SUV flowmaster and a dynomax high flow cat. It is exactly what I was looking for.

If you are looking for loud, try a single or dual chamber flowmaster. If you're looking for quiet, I would suggest the 3 chamber 50 series SUV muffler.

Thomas.