Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowtech headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Matt N., Mar 2, 2000.

1. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

Hey there, just got a set of flowtech headers for my '86, from JC Whitney. Question, for those who've bought 'em.

I noticed, the driver side header, front pipe, there is a crease in the pipe. It was made in the factory, cause the coating is unnaffected. I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect or if it's something to clear a bracket or what...

Could anyone that has the flowtechs confirm the crease (or lack thereof), cause I just picked up my 330 horse crate motor (sweeeeeet) and need to get it in before the end of the month! So if I have to return these, I need to get on it!

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I can look when I get home this evening,,,

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Are they the afterburner headers? Let me know how the clearance on everything is.

DangerBrett
    life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

How much did they run you?

5. Matt N.

Yeah, they're the Afterburners. I'll let you know how they fit if I use 'em.

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yes,, they are after burners,,,, not sure how much they were,, I got them from either Jegs or Summit,, $149.00 I think???????? Hey,, I might even have a pic on my web site,, I think I do,,
    http://home.swbell.net/traff/blazer

[​IMG]

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Nice lookin ride, dude.[​IMG] Are they ceramicoated or paint? Did you have any clearance issues? I have some old scary looking headers(about the same size) and they dont fit worth a damn, so Im kind of sceptical.

DangerBrett
    life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You can get them (Afterburners) from Summit for $129.95. Shipping is free also to most Western and Eastern States.
    Todd, what year is your engine and what kind of engine is it?
    Boss

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Matt, what did you pay for that crate??
    Is it the HT383??
    What all came with it?
    I am thinking of spending my tax return on one!!
    Thanks
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

10. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Thanks DangerB,,, I painted them with 1200 deg paint,,, they were pretty much the same color before I painted them. Nope, no clearance problems. I can take a pic of the engine bay,, or any particular spot you might be concerned with. Let me know.

Boss,,, I think the motor came out of an old camaro or someting,, it's late 60's I think. It came with the blazer freshly rebuilt and I had to finish it off,, It's a 350 bored .30 over with a Crane Energizer cam and rods, z28 vavle springs if not heads also,, I really don't know. Edelbrock Preformer Intake with Edelbrock 4 bar. carb. don't even know what kind of pistons are in it.

[​IMG]

11. Matt N.

Re: Crate Motor

I got the vortec HO 350, http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/330.html

I paid $2200 + tax....Sallee wanted 2025 + 150 for shipping, so I paid a little more...however, most of the dealers I talked to had it on back order, and the prices are going up real soon. (like now). I was going to build a motor to the nearly the same specs, but I found the block was cracked, so I wussed out and did the crate deal. I figgered it would cost me $1800 to do EVERYTHING I could think of (parts + machine work), and I know I left out some stuff, so going with the crate is probably a wash, especially if you include the time I would take to put the thing together, since my free time is pretty limited.

12. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yes,, the driver's side does have a crease,, it lines right up with a spark plug. It kinda looks to me that there would be enough room even if they didn't crease it.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Matt N.

Thanks man, I bolted it up, and yes, that is the case. Can't wait to get this mutha goin, she's gonna fly!

14. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd like a set of afterburners for my '89. But I need an 02 senser. Do yours have a fitting welded in? If so what part # are they? Thanks,
    John

15. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Nope,,, No o2 hole.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Matt N.

Re: Flowtech headers O2 bung

it's real easy to do, though...just pop a hole in the exhaust right after the collector (so you don't have to drill into the header itself) and weld in an O2 bung...I coulndt find one the last time I did it, so I used a spark plug anti fouler, which has the same threads, cut off the bottom and welded it on. Works fine, and I will do about the same with my A.I.R. fittings as well.

17. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

I've got summit's smog legal headers the O2 senor and A.I.R fittings are already drilled and tapped for you. They
    "almost" bolt right in. Oh buy the way for all you guys painting your headers with 1200 degree paint, the paint don't stand a chance against the INFERNAL heat comin' out those headers. I know first hand.[​IMG] '88 350 manual.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]