Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flowtech Headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Beast, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Beast

Beast Registered Member

Has anybody tried the new Flowtech Afterburners headers, I'm preparing to swap my SB 350 for a SB 400 in my 73 Blazer and thought it a good time to do headers too and these looked like an affordable alternative to the Thorely Tri-Y's, Are they any good?

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I have heard they are ok for a cheaper brand. Whatever road you take pay the extra and get them coated otherwise you'll be buying new ones soon.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I have the Flowtech Afterburners. They are great. Love em. But I had the Flowtech Cheapies before that and they suck. Too thin for my likings. But I said my opinion on the cheapies before and then someone said he loved the cheapies and work great for him. So who knows.
    Getting them ceramic coated is a good idea. They'll last forever, plus they keep your engine bay slighly cooler.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, I have the Flo-Tech cheapie headers [​IMG].
    Don't know why, but 3 years later I still like them, they don't leak and haven't rusted out. Bear in mind they hardly ever use salt on the roads here, so that may be most of the reason they've lasted.
    I know they won't last forever and the next set I get will definitely be coated. I also have to add that these headers fit without any trouble at all, everything lined right up and I had no clearance problems.
    Oh yeah, I don't use 'header gaskets' either, I use the replacement exhaust manifold gaskets from the local parts store. They have lasted forever without any leaks. I also used the 'Dead Soft' aluminum collector gaskets, they work good and are re-usable.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

When you guys say "coating" what do you mean? Here in Utah the salt the crap out of everything, so I need headers that will not rust. Also I want headers that boost low end torque, is there a particular design I should consider? Thanks.

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I have the cheap-o flowtechs and they have stood up really well so far. However, the paint that comes on them will burn off. It is not high-temp paint. the webpage even says this. WHat i did is I stripped them down all the way and put about 10 coats of 1,200 degree black spray paint on them. No problems with rust or anything.
    Blake

7. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've only had afterburners on for about 2 months. I sandblasted and painted 'em before I put 'em on. It's hard to tell for sure if they help the power or not. I swapped heads at the same time. You would like to "feel" more power when you spend $450. Its kind of subjective, but I think the truck feels more responsive. If or when they rust I'll pop 'em off and blast and paint again.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

8. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put the Afterburners in not long ago and I noticed a power increase for sure. I had the collectors welded to the dual exhaust by Midas. Once I put the lift on I'll get a crossover pipe welded in for more torque. I also suggest you put in a better intake than stock. Edlebrock Performer comes to mind.

Topless73

9. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I have had the cheapies for about 4 years now and they are still going strong. Agree with the coating or rust will be your enemy!

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

10. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

I run Flowtech Headers/2.25-inch Duals/Dual Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers on my 78 K5 (350 SB) and
    felt a noticeable gain, even at low RPMs. (compared to the stock exhaust manifold/single pipe system).
    Unfortunately, my milage stayed about the same (10-12 mpg), but the sound definitely improved.

Hope this helps
    Armin

11. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

You can usually order them with a ceramic based coating that will keep the rust out and increse the h.p as well as keep the heat down. It increase h.p. because it keeps theheat inside the header allowing the exhaust gases to leave at a higher velocity. If you got a set without the coating you can have it done to them. I would stay away from high temp paint though b/c it doesnt last that long.

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 Jimmy TBI...I run ceramic Flowtechs into 3" pipes, dual 3" Hiflo cats, dual Dynomax and 2 1/2 pipes out to pencil tips...no crossover since I like the way duals sound...they fit with no probs, leakage probs have been minimal, plugs are easy to get to, coating looks good after 3yrs (25K miles)...I've run Hookers, Hedman, Blackjack over the years in my 79 K5 (265K miles) and for the money, I'd say these coated Flowtechs are a bargain...I got no complaints with 'em...JD

13. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

Hey K5 Jimmy-
    Where did you get your ceramic-coated Flowtechs? Can you give me an idea of what they cost? I'm running stock manifolds with 2.25 duals w/crossover through dual dynomax turbos. I'm hoping that a good set of headers (I don't want the hassles of leaks, etc) will add some more low-end pull...

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!