Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fluid around starter/bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 5, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i just got inside from changing my oil, and while i was under the truck, i noticed there was some kinda fluid seeping from between the starter and bellhousing. i wiped it with a white rag, and it looks sorta brownish-yellow. the same fluid is also seeping from what i guess is a venthole at the bottom of that shroud under the torque converter. considering its coming from around the tranny, im guessing its dirty ATF. unless its starter fluid, which is similar to blinker flu..nevermind.

anyway, any idea what might be causing this? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

on another note, the tranny jerks when shifting between gears (PRND123, as in, while the truck is stopped). my transmission guy tuned it a little so it shifts firmer, but its been getting worse lately. when the truck is moving, it shifts normally. think the leak and this might be related? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Could be tranny fluid... have you ever changed the filter and gasket? Another thing it could be is the rear main seal... if it looks like motor oil

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Also it could be your valve covers or intake leaking motor oil and runnig down the back of the motor.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My front pump seal on the tranny leaked and it came out that hole. Always nasty looking fluid cause it's dirty indide that cover i guess....Or it could be starter fluid like you were saying /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    it could be starter fluid like you were saying /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. thezentree

its not motor oil, its too thin. the tranny fluid and filter was changed 20-30k miles ago (but its gettin dirty, so it will be soon). its not a bad leak, just enough to get things a little damp. not even dripping.

anyway, about the starter fluid. i emailed APC, and they recommended a high boost starter filter. im gonna run down to auto zone and pick one up from the rice-aisle. yall think some low friction exhaust bearings would help any? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

anyway, about the starter fluid. i emailed APC, and they recommended a high boost starter filter. im gonna run down to auto zone and pick one up from the rice-aisle. yall think some low friction exhaust bearings would help any? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    definantly, those ricer girls really know what they're doing!(bahhahhhaa) They use only senthetic starter fluid for moa hoaspowa. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif With good muffler bearings you should get a good farting/buzzing noise out your tailpipe.

8. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    With good muffler bearings you should get a good farting/buzzing noise out your tailpipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEEEEEET!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/bewarespam.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

You might want to grab a can of Slack while your down there. Then just pour it in and it will loosen's up all those tight spots. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif