Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fluid at joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Sep 28, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

this is the front of my rear drive shaft. i am leaking fluid from inside the u joint. i am certain that the fluid is not coming from where the yoke enters the transfer case - you can see that the yoke shaft is dry at this point. i understand that the u joint caps are filled with grease; but this is more than excess grease. it is generating enough oil/fluid to throw onto the underbody. where is this coming from and what can i do to fix it??? thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmm....what color is the fluid?

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

been wheeling lately? stuffed that driveshaft into the tcase?? i bet its tranny fluid, what does it smell like?

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

dark fluid - like oil. definitely coming from inside the joint.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I noticed its a greasable joint... quite often longer drives will get that grease nice and warm... allowing it to come flyin out of the caps. I'd bet that if you cleaned it off, you'd probably find that it has already stopped "leaking."

The other obvious sign here is that this joint is close to grenading on you! I'd get the rear of the truck off the ground, and check that joint ASAP! I hear it sux to blow one on the way to work in the morning! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Good ol AutoZone can sell you nice solid models for something like $13ea.

Good luck.

-Dan