Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fluid capacity - 12 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have a 12 bolt from a 1978 (I think) burb that I am ready to put in my 87K5.

I have it on jack stands right now and have yet to put on the cover. So I would like to pour in the gear oil then put on the cover instead of using the fill hole.

So, does anybody know how much oil I need to put in?

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

how do you plan of doing that???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If it's on jack stands like he said......Just pull the cover off and pour the fluid in that way. By the way, It's 2 1/4 quarts. Got that from www.autozone.com.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks KidJethro

Yes, its on jack stands with the cover facing up so it will be real easy to just pour right in before I install the rear end in the truck.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

stupid me !!!!! i tought it was on the truck!!!!!!!
    next time i'm going to ... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I put in 2.5 quarts and after I installed it I opened up the plug and let the excess drain out. About 1/4 quart came out so the 12 bolt holds 2.25 quarts like KidJethro said incase anybody else ever needs to know.

Thanks again KidJethro, you saved me a lot of trouble /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif