Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fluid for a Detroit Locker???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Finished putting a locker in the back of my '56 last night. I've been running synthetic fluid in all of my gear boxes and differentials for a long time. Will there be any disadvantages to running synthetic fluid with the locker? The instructions say to run the factory fluid, but nothing that I've owned ever came from the factory with synthetic.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it will make it last longer! And probably work better...

I've ran synthetic fluid with my rear Detroit for 4 years and it's still going strong...

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've started running synthetic motor oil, brake fluid and power steering fluid, and I plan to switch everything to synthetic. Including the rear diff with detroit.

I figure with all the fuel my truck uses, at least I can help cut some oil consumption by going to synthetics.

IIRC my parents new Expedition uses synthetics in everything.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I e-mailed TracTech about the same thing not too long ago. Here is the exact reply. Dated 7/11/2005

5. JonV

JonV Registered Member

Synthetics work well from low temperatures to high temperatures, and have high oxidation rates (last a long time). However they don't carry heavy loads. High quality enhanced petroleum products are excellent choices for hard offroad use.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hmmm? Synthetics find leaks better than conventional oil. Dino oil's molecules are different sizes so in an oil leak, the large molecules will stack up and stop the leak. Synthetic, molecules are the same size, so you actually find more oil leaks with it. When you switch to synthetic, check your oil level OFTEN. You put it in an older engine and it can eat it faster than the normal stuff.

My opinion? Dino oil in rear. You are going to have to change it every time you dunk the axle anyway, and I don't think you want to be spending that much cash...

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Synthetics don't carry heavy loads? Freightliner has put synthetic in their transmissions (Eaton/Spicer and Meritor) and axles (DS404, Meritor, Mercedes) since the late 90's from the factory.