Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fluid leak from 2wd driveshaft yoke ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 8, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhhh the 81 c-10 developed a bad leak in last couple days and i replaced the output shaft seal last night on the th350 in it

there is fluid drip off the front driveshaft yoke at the u joint, and also drip off/wet at the speedo gear assembly

i dunno how the yoke could be leaking out the fluid ??

can someone explain

cuz im confused

is this even possible ?

i didnt see any seepage from the output shaft seal but i put new seal on anyways

so far it hasnt seemed to leak but im not for sure yet

have never had a problem with tranny leak with this truck, not when i used to own it a couple years ago, and not until now, and neither did my boss who owned it the last couple years, its always been a gtreat transmnission no issues at all, always bright red fluid and always great performance, and still is,

also there is no fluid thrown up onto underside of cab floor until about a foot after the end of the tranny which makes NO sense at all either

the driveshaft is completely dry all except for at the yoke where the U joints are just after the enf of the tranny,

hmm..

got any ideas ?

thanks

2. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I think my brother's did that once. Ended up switching to a yoke with no cap. Wouln't weld or seal.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cap- what do you mean, im lost

since i replaced the output shaft seal the yoke seems to be staying dry, however theres is fluid hanging off the entire underside of the tailshaft housing now, it is soaked, seems like is trailing out back from where tranny mount bolts on at the crossmember ?

but that could still be the speedo adapter i suppose, hmm,

i havent noticed a puddle under truck so far though, like it was doing before new rear seal install,

thanks

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I axed him about it. I think there's a press in cap on the back end of the slipyoke. somehow, sometimes, the fluid works it's way down between the splines and leaks out this cap. some have it some don't.

The other possibility is that the tranny "burped" out some extra fluid. Possibly overfilled? One of our shop Chevys did that to me once. I was going up the mntns with unlodaed trailer, and it kinda jerked a little bit. Pulled over, fluid under the truck but it still ran OK....still does to this day, that was a couple years ago.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

naa it wasnt over full before this happened and i never changed the level ive never had to add fluid to this tranny, its never needed any til now,.,.

so far so good thoughh

thanks