Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fluid Level Too High????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Apr 23, 2006.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

:confused: Have searched half the morning and can't find the answer to this.

Took a 14 bff out of a 1008 that was not leaking and a low mileage diff. Converted it to disc brakes and replaces hub seals while in it. Put the diff in my truck and had to rotate it up several degrees to get angle correct for the 8" lift and cv style shaft. No vibes everything works great but wheel seals both leak. Replaced twice since.

My question is this: could having the front of the diff so much higher from centerline of the axle tubes be causing me to be unintentionally overfilling my diff by allowing to much fluid into the axle tubes and causing this leak??????:confused:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

did you replace the seals? If you did , did you ding the side of the hub? How does the spindal look? Sometimes you need a speedy sleeve

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

anyone?

5. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

that is awfully off tho since both seals are leaking seems to have to be something obvious hmm...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Plugged vent might contribute...as the fluid heats up it'll expand and without a vent there might be enough positive pressure inside the diff to push fluid past the seals.

Rene

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Checked already, free flowing, seals have been changed twice since the initial time. no damage at seal, hub snout is perfect, bearing are tight, greased seals before install, insured I didn't scrub them across the spindle threads installing them. This is all I can think off that would cause this problem normally and nothing is differant on this axle exept the fact that it has been rotated up. This is why I was wondering if after spining it upward I may be overfilling it since the plug is up and inch or more above stock.