Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fluid swappin 465/205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 5, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Checked SM465 fluid yesterday on flat ground, a bit lower than before, but not much, so enough. Pulled the NP205 plug and covered the driveway with gear oil. I've checked the fluid levels before, and never had a problem with the fluid flowing back into the NP205 out of the 465, but thats obviously what happened. Lost a fair amount, and it was by no means done spewing when I put the plug back. Definitely full /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Because of this, I have to assume thats why the front output seal has started to leak. (or because its got 26 years under its belt) Not much, but just like a pinion leak, it's starting to run down from the yoke seal.

I vaguely recall seeing something on this topic long ago, but can't remember what the word ended up being. Any way to avoid this "problem" or is it just something that can happen randomly? (bearings the only thing that "keep" the fluid from going between the two?) I would think that the fluid could flow back and forth between the two if it is just bearings holding the fluid back, but I imagine the output shaft of the tranny is much higher than the fluid level when it's sitting.

If I had a sloped driveway, I could park backwards on it, but I don't.

If this is something that can't be "fixed", what about running (and I think I vaguely remember this being thought about) a length of tubing or hose, with fittings on either end that replace the fill/check plugs? If the two plugs on the t-case/transmission are at the same level, any reason it wouldn't work? The 465 fill plug is just about in the center of the transmission (drivers side) and so fluid level would remain relatively unchanged at that spot, except when sidehilling...even then, the fluid in the 205 if "full" would probably prevent any fluid movement back and forth.

Anyways, just an idea, anyone have another way to solve this, besides making a big mess draining that stuff out every once in awhile? The point of going with the Sm465/205 was having less problems to worry about, if there is a way to make this problem "go away" permanently, I'll do it! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

That would mean both the seal in the rear of the trans and the front of the T-case had gone bad

Gear oil isn't supposed to go through the adapter...

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there is only 1 seal between the 465 and 205
    I have nicked it a few times on assembly
    Nat 473214 : 1.375 x 2.25 x .312
    now I put the adapter on the TC while it is on the ground and lift that assembly to the tranny
    for the front yoke there are 2 ways to go
    stock single seal or double up with a narrower seal
    I last used the single stock seal as the double one failed on me after a few years
    I theorized it could be from outer one running dry

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. I'll have to check into that then, probably what happened, I DID have them apart about 3 years ago, but haven't driven it until the last year or so. Soon as I can find a cheap 4wd Sm465 to rebuild, and swap, I'll replace the seal. Thanks MJ.