Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fluid under carb on intake manifold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerWheels, May 29, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

When changing my plugs & wires I discovered a little pool of fluid sitting on the intake manifold under the carb. I am GUESSING that it is gas leaking from the carb. I am planning on having the carb rebuilt in early June. Is there anything else it could be??? I didn't think it smelled like gas, besides wouldn't gas evaporate?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Coolant maybe?? I know some gm cars had a coolant line hook up to the carb or throttle body.

I'd say taste it, but if it is coolant, that could render you dead...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is it oil? Not sure if it's "typical" for Chev's to leak that way, but it is on Oldsmobiles, the oil can "migrate" up the intake bolts if it sneaks past the "turkey tray" (full lifter valley/intake seal)

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had a couple of small blocks that would have a puddle of oil show up on the intake manifold. Removing the intake bolts and putting a dab of Form-A-Gasket #2 on the threads, then reinstalling the bolts fixed the problem on both. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

put your finger in it. smell your finger. rub your fingers together, do not dry them off for about 5 min.
    if it smells like fuel and dries off by itself leaving your skin dry its fuel. if it leaves your fingers greasy then it oil. if it smells sweet its anifreeze.

if its fuel, check your carb and fuel line for leaks, oil, make sure your distributor has a gasket on it, cooland check your intake for cracks and not being sealed to the heads right.
    Grant

6. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I'll check it as soon as I get back this weekend.