Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flunked Emissions, got a couple ?? *UPDATE*...PASSED

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Jimmy, Apr 20, 2003.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I flunked emissions...89 TBI...I changed the plugs, cleaned the KN filter, changed the oil (synthetic w/ Mobil1 filter), new O2 sensor, timing set to factory 0*...drove it to get it to operating temp, and let it run while waiting in line (one in front of me)...

High speed (1750rpm) Standard is 155 mine is 151 (pass)
    Low speed (1088rpm) Standard is 159 mine is 355 (Fail)

I changed the EGR, and searched the EGR threads and found some good info....now I have a Question about timing since if I flunk it this next time I gotta have some sorta damn document from an "approved" repair station....

Should I retard the timing an extra 2* to 4* or would the new EGR take care of the HC problem?

All the other numbers are quite well within Standard...

Also what would be a Name Brand of some sorta miracle crap I would pour in my tank...I hate additives, but I'm being held hostage by the Emissions Nazis... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Had the thing on an Analyzer...the New Bosch O2 sensor didn't work, replaced it with a new Delco ($5 cheaper also)....Changed the 180* thermostat to the correct 195* THANKS, GRIM!!!...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: flunked Emissions, got a couple ??

I have heard running rubbing alcohol in the tank can help lower emmisions. I don't remember the exact ratio they said though. You might try a search on that and some of the other emmisions tricks.

Whenever I go in AZ to pass the emmisions test I leave my truck running the whole time I am in line to keep the cats hot, and when I am next up I make it spin 2500-3000 RPM to get them really hot. I pass almost every time without fail. (unless my F'in gas cap doesn't pass the pressure test /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last time I had prob's passing I made the changes I thought I needed to and then took it in and had it checked on a 4 gas analyser. Cost me all of $20 and I knew I'd pass before me re-test.

Rene

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Also what would be a Name Brand of some sorta miracle crap I would pour in my tank...I hate additives, but I'm being held hostage by the Emissions Nazis... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Smog Check by Wynns. I used this stuff to get over the hump in my Nova with the tailpipe Nazi's in Denver. Mine was failing at the low speed test also. I retarded the timing and leaned the carb out also, but it still was high on the HC side at idle. It probably was the valve guides, but a friend that owned a local parts store suggested the Smog Check. I used it and passed with no problems.

The Key with the Smog Check additive is to have a full tank of fuel and run the hell out of it to get it good and hot. It worked for me. But that was more than 7 years ago. I'm now in Detroit (not for long!) and dont have to play the emissions game here, ironic aint it? The motor city has not a shred of emissions enforcement. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

On a carbed motor with a bit of a cam it's a good idea to bump the idle speed up as much as you can get away with...especially if you keep failing the idle test. My old 355 would repeatedly fail the idle test at 650 rpm, but pass with flying colors at 900 rpm.

Rene

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

You might try a hotter spark plug. I stepped mine up 1 heat rating and passed. Of course I'm carbed and I leaned it out and played with the timing too. Worth a shot though.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

when mine failed like yours did...but much worse, a new cap and rotor brought the HC's down a little bit...also retarding the timing might help, when i retarded mine i was getting great numbers till a shorted wire started causing more...its worth a shot, also TBI might need rebuilt. if all else fails, bribe em...or drive up to sherman where they probably dont have emissions and try and get tested there. I have heard you can do that, but im not too sure about it. Im gonna try and get mine done while im i'm in Lubbock hope you have better luck with it than i have had...

8. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

You may also want to check the Cat...If you have one..if so how old is it?.. an old/clogged cat will cause high HC readings particulary at idle..

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What thermostat do you have in it? FI trucks are supose to have a 195 to make sure the truck went into "closed loop". Your readings really look like it was still "open loop" (FI's Choke).
    I always run my vehicles down the hwy for about 10 minutes at 55-70mph and get that cat good and hot and make sure that it has achieved closed loop.
    EGR is closed at idle so that's not the problem. The reaso for the two speed test is to verify the EGR is operating among other things. It opens around 1200-1500 RPM.
    Like Rene' pointed out you can go to a decent repair shop and they should have a gas analizer and can veify your going to pass before you go for your retest.
    Give it a good basic tuen up and mak sure it has clean plugs and meter out the plug wires and make sure they are good.

10. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

One more trick that hasnt been said here is pull your PCV valve out of the valve cover. If you engine has alot of mile it will have crankcase blow by and this has alot of emissions in it. I have seen people pull up to the tester and run the test and fail miserably and pull the pcv valve out of the cover and lean tha carb out a bit and idle it up to around 900-950 and then go back through and pass with flying colors. Something to put on your list anyway.

11. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

My father in law swears by Berrymans B-12 carb cleaner in your gas to pass the test. He says 1 pint per 1/4 tank of gas in tank. I don't know though, to me it sounds like a bomb waiting to go off. He says it works though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well, got mine inspected today...$12.50, didnt even open the hood, just checked the blinkers, brakes, lights, stuff like that. Had to sign an affidavit that says i will get it re-tested once i go back to Dallas (I was just on my way to do that officer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) Didnt really fix the problem, but got that sticker...

13. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

The way that I pass with my K5 is Isopropyl Alcohol, this is any of those fuel tank cleaners. I drive the truck as empty as possible usually 1/8th of a tank and then dump about 8-10 in the tank. They are really small bottles so you need to get a good Alcohol to Gas ratio. Make sure the engine has warmed up before testing as well. I believe that this works due to alcohol burns a lot cleaner and will still fire with the gasoline mixed with it. So technically you are only burning a fraction of what you normally burn with full gasoline. Just to let you know my truck has bad rings and smokes like crazy. I can drive her for a while and the smoking will stop so the visual test looks good and this helps lower the emissions dramatically! The bottles are really cheap too only about 2.00 each. My friend with a bad 2.8 V6 S-15 told me this trick and it cut his emissions almost 2/3 of what it originally was. Hope this helps .... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Shane - /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Had the thing on an Analyzer...the New Bosch O2 sensor didn't work, replaced it with a new Delco ($5 cheaper also)....Changed the 180* thermostat to the correct 195* (THANKS, GRIM!!!!)...the Guy also told me my Pickup Mod in my dist is weak/shot, also, Ball Joints are Good but tie rod ends are loose.....He had a Lifted Frod, 2 lifted Subs, a Shortbed, and a Jeep ...pics of Wheelin' all over the shop.....I just found a Really 4Wheel friendly shop in Plano!!......And I Passed.....I'm Stoked!!.....woohoo!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

thats awesome....i never thought about the stat. Never changed mine but i think its got a 160 or 180 in there...what shop was this?

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Heller's at 14th and Rigsbee...sorta a hole in the wall, but he's a really neat guy to talk to...I had to pay $75 for the analyzer shop time, but he taught me $200 worth just BSing while he messed with my truck....I'll go back...I'll also steer business his way....He didn't jerk me around or try to sell me anything...talks real straight.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif