Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flushing Auto Tranny Fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Oct 2, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Guy at Jiffy Lube showed me how fukkin dirty our ATF is in my wife's little car and wanted to know if I wanted him to flush the system and put new stuff in for $100. I told him I'd think about it. I HATE auto trannys and to tell you the truth, had not given this one much thought. (I'm 25, have owned 6 vehicles, but only 1 had an auto till this car) So what has to be done to flush the system? Is it worth the $100 to pay someone to do it? I already have a case of ATF in the garage from my last K5 so that part is covered....Let me know wassup! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just change the fluid, that should help. Flushing is something those gaybates at Jiffylube do to take your money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

We have a flushing machine at work that pumps clean either clean fluid (when flushing the whole trans) or you can run something like mineral spirits through it (when just flushing the cooler and lines!). When just changing the fluid the normal way you only get about half of the old fluid out. I would consider it absolutely critical to have the lines and cooler power flushed if you were replacing a cooked trans.....

With that said, I would have a hard time paying $100 to have it flushed. I'd say change the fluid and install a $3 drain plug in the pan if possible. Run the car a couple hundred miles and change it again.