Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flushing out a 700r4????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i had a 700r4 sitting on the side of my house for abuot two months and i didnt really pay attention to it, a couple caps were not on there so rain got inside it, i am putting the tranny in a girls truck tommorow, and i was wondering once i got it in there..... can i just take the pan off put a new filter and gasket on there maybe spray some cleaner in there, put the pan on, take the drain plug off put a couple quarts of atf through it then put the plug back in and fill up and run it? is there something else to do or a different way to flush it out, thx in advance, sorry so long winded

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

depends on how much water got in

3. Silver84k5

well when i picked it up to put it in my truck i think most of it spilled out..... is there anyhting i can do?

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

most likely it only went into the pan. The rain isnt going to force its way into the trans so just clean out the pan, wipe down the valvebody, add your new filter and go. Any moisture or condensation wont last long anyway with the temperatures that go on inside your tranny..... it will just evaporate anyway.

5. mudhog

but it could have gotten in the clutch pack's and that would be a bad thing /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

ONCE YOU HAVE THE TRANS. IN YOU CAN FIND AN AUTO SHOP THAT HAS THE B.G. TRANS. FLUSHER IT IS A 100% FLUID CHANGE IT ALSO RUNS 15 QT. OF FLUID THROUGH THE TRANS. THE PRICE IS AROUND 129.99 TO DO IT. THIS IS ONLY IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IT'S ALL OK. THIS IS ALSO A GOOD IDEA IF YOU DO ALOT OF HIGH WATER CROSSING TO KEEP THE FLUID IN GOOD SHAPE.

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

How could it have gotten into the clutches ? The only openings are the dipstick hole, the return and pressure lines, and maybe where the TV cable goes. It was only rain. not submerged......

8. Silver84k5

what happens if it is in the clutch packs?>, this girl is hot so i dont want to do all this work for her and not have the damn thing work

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

How can it have reached the clutch packs...If I read the first post correctly, it sounds like he had it left outside and some water got in the tranny through the TV cable hole or a cooler line hole...In that case, there is no pump running to pump the fluid to the clutch packs so it would just take the quickest route through the valve body to the pan...

I'd say take the pan off an let id dry out for a while, maybe remove the valvebody and clean it and put in a new filter...

Once installed, fill it up with ATF and let it heat up a bit...then I would drain the pan and fill it up with fluid again...then it should be okay to go...Just my opinion...

Chris

10. mudhog

how much water was in it and was there any fluid in it or was it empty? if it was empty then it could rust the valves and make them not work and the moisture will find its way up to the clutch packs if it did they will swell and then flake apart /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    tori you are right if the water was only in the pan then it would not be directly on the clutches but the moisture will find its way up lol

11. Silver84k5

yea thats what i meant to say too, fill it up run it for a bit shift the gears then change the fluid again, the valve body is that piece , i think on the passengers side or whatever, but its that cap that comes off and that thing slides out right?

12. mudhog

the valve body is inside the pan bolted to the bottom of the tranny

13. Silver84k5

ahh ok, thx guys ;]

14. mudhog

so you still going to the meeting tomorrow?

15. Silver84k5

yea im planning on it, if i can get started early enough so i get the stuff done then for sure,

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree that you should install it, fill it with fluid, warm it to operating temperature, drain and refill. Add a fresh filter too. Look at it like this, if she's so hot....another excuse to work on her truck couldn't be that bad.

17. mudhog

ya but i would be honest up front and tell her there is a chance it might not work or she might get pissed at you and think you dont know what you are doing