Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flushing radiator question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Aug 4, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Can someone tell me what the heck I'm doin wrong? This quest does not pertain to my 73k5 but I just bought a 91 camaro 305. Flushing the radiator by running engine and disconnecting outflow tube from thermostat to top of radiator. Atleast my book says this tube flow from thermostat to radiator and thru radiator back thru lower tube to engine block. Once I'm done flushing and water is clear. Add coolant and turns right back to milky white color. No green whatsoever. Can't imagine oil in water? hope not. Oil pressure gage is 0 from left 30 in middle and 60 all the way to right. Oil pressure gage never goes below 30 and fluctuates depending on how much gas applied while driving.Compression checks good in all cylinders. Anyone who has 305ci. Appreciate any info.
    Thanks
    James

2. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Here's my guess, it sounds like you're not getting all of the old coolant out of the engine block. I did a partial flush on my dad's '97 LT1 and the book states that to do a COMPLETE flush you need to remove at least one of the plugs that are on the sides of the engine block, and let the fluid drip out. I don't remember if this is needed in flushing an older block, but it's still possible that there's not enough pressure to wash out the old coolant trapped in the block, good luck.

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Sounds like oil in coolant. If you go to a shop w/ a gas analyzer used for emissions testing, let the sniffer get a whif of the antifreeze mixture @ the radiator neck. If it detects hydrocarbons, you're finished (probably a head gasket or worse, cracked block...).

When flushing my 305, I pulled the freeze plug (driver's side of block) and got a lot of junk out of the block (rust, corrosion, etc). That's your best bet when doing a good flush.

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

If I were to try this flush on my 350 and I did pull the freeze plugs; how do I get them out. After I get them out how would i get them back in?

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

On the 350 its a bolt just above the oil pan on the drain plug side. I think. Can't miss it