Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flux core or argon/co2??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rubbinz raczn, Apr 26, 2005.

1. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

hey i just got my miller 135 today! question, it came with regulator kit for co2/argon mix. my current welder is a century130 that i have been using straight co2 with. the miller reg directions state mix gas only. i get pretty good welds with the co2, is mix that much better? how bout flux core? this will be primarily for .120 tube. can i get a clean smooth bead with the flux? thanks :D

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can get good beads with flux core with practice. The worst part about flux core is the little slag BB's it shoots all over the place like stick arc welding. Everything on my truck is flux core welded. I personally really like flux core. I am not into making things look show quality and picture perfect so flux works just fine for me.

If you want pretty beads with little cleanup then use solid wire and gas.

Harley

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

how bout weld strength/penetration?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From everything I have heard flux core penetrates better then solid core does. On .120 wall it shouldn't matter though. A Miller 135 with .035 flux core will blow holes in .120 wall tube.

I run a Miller 135 with .035 flux core and I can eat .120 all day long. My power setting is 4-4.5 out of 10 and about 35-38 on the wire speed. Gotta play with it a little when you have gaps. It is really easy to run my Miller 135 to high for .120 wall tube.

Harley

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd run 75/25 with the .035 micro-wire. Straight CO2 is OK, but best used with dual shield flux core.

Rene