Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flux Core vs Mig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Apr 3, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright well my dad and i got into a discussion about this. What makes a mig w/ gas better than flux core if flux cleans the metal as it welds. Am i wrong with saying that a mig is definitly better than a flux core because of the gas and how it cleans the metal of oxy. better than flux? I know that when i weld with my mig and no gas the welds come out all brown and burn colored and obviously arent strong. I have never used a flux core before, what would happen if i use flux core wire in my mig, would it come out the same? i wouldnt think it would but my dad says it would. So can someone explain to me what flux is good for and why it doesnt need gas? Also why mig needs gas and why is it better than flux? Thanks Mike

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The shielding agent (flux) is built into flux core wire. The sheilding agent with MIG is the gas. They do the same job of sheilding the weld as you weld. With flux core wire your welds come out like arc welds normally do with the spatter everywhere. You have to clean up the spatter to make the welds look nice. You can usually get flux core wire to penatrate metals better then you can with a MIG weld.

You can use sheilding gas with flux core wire if you want to but you don't have too. Using the sheilding gas can make flux core welds look nicer and come out cleaner then without. It is just a waste of sheilding gas though for the most part.

Flux core wire is also better for welding in the outdoor environment. Shielding gas will blow away with a breeze and flux core resists that because the sheilding agent is built in.

Harley

3. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

I weld almost everyday outside and I haven't noticed any sign of the sheilding gas being blowen away.......but I guess it could happen.....I personally dont like flux core just for the fact that I get better welds with gas..but thats just my opin.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status