Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbLover, Dec 26, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My wife & kids got me a basic flyrod setup for Christmas; however, I have no idea what to do next. It was talking about different types of knots & lines. Is there anyone in/near Colorado Springs who wouldn/t mind meeting with me to figure some of this [censored] out? Thanks! Once I get the hang of it, the high mtn lakes should be opened up & it'll be time to start catchin' some big'uns!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... Fly Fishing... It's one of those "Puritist" type sports. Everyone I have ever met that fly fishes won't even talk to you if you are carrying a spinning set up. And they are all really into "Catch and Release". Which I do NOT agree with. Also you are very limited as to where you can fish. You need a lot of clear space to cast untill you get really good at it and then you still need more free space than with a spinning reel setup.

OK you want to know why I don't agree with catch and release. Most people that fly fish do not eat the fish they catch. So they release them and they can stand there all day long and catch a hundred fish and then release them. No matter how much care you take when releasing you will kill at least 10 percent. That's 10 dead fish per day. In my state the legal limit is 5 per day and 10 in posession. That means that once you reach 5 in on your stringer you must quit. And you can never have more than 10 in the cooler. So you end up eating them if you are out for more than a couple of days.

Now do the math. The fly fisherman kills at the very least 10 per day while he is out. The spinning reel guy kills 5 per day if he eats them all. Perty simple. These puritists kill twice as many fish at the very least.

Then take into consideration that many of these puritists are not very good at releasing so they kill even more.

Now let me qualify as I'm sure I will take a heck of a lot of flack on this issue. If we were talking about this subject 30 years ago the numbers would be quite different. This is because 30 years ago the fly fishermen were not as abundant and the majority of them knew what they were doing. Today, fly fishing has become a fad for the yuppies. Kind of like SUV's. They have to do it because it's the thing to do. Like SUV's and Golf. Many don't even like to fish and would prolly never eat a trout no matter how you cooked it, much less clean one. And as far as releasing them properly, most could care less about the environment much less a stupid fish. And many of these people do something else that I don't like. They will stand in a stream for hours catching and releasing. You can't keep on the move with fly fishing as well as you can with a spinning rod. So they stand there catching and releasing all damn day long, stomping around and stirring up the bottom. This creats havoc with the fish down stream as all this stomping around stirs up everything down stream for a hundred yards. Now put into the equation a couple of hundred of these guys on one stream and what do you have? One messed up stream. Of course the only good thing is that they are limited to stream areas that are open and free of brush, trees and other obstacles. The places I frequent are full of this stuff so I don't see fly fishermen all that often. But I pass them up a lot and have been arguing with them for years about their obsession.

OK enough about that. If you like to fish and would like to continue to enjoy the sport without all the hype and expensive gear that fly fishing sucks up, take the fly rig back to the store and trade it in on a spinning reel setup. After all, you wouldn't want a fishing trip to cost you $1500 just for the equipment would you? Plus you have to spend years trying out different flies and learning how to tie them yourself. A good spinner costs about $3 and 5 should get you through a week long trip. A good rod and reel will cost you about $200 and should last up to 5 years before replacing. Again do the math. ANd remember that fishing trips are supposed to be fun. I have out fished fly fishermen to the point where some of them have broken their $600 rod over their knee and walked off in a huff. (really!)

OK now let the flack fall as it may.. I know I hit a couple of nerves out there. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm sure I can help you out. At lest with the basics anyway. Go here and this site will help out a lot. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Eric

4. Highlander

Well first off I don't know if I would Call myself a Purist I do fish primarily with my Fly rod, Yes I do own a spinning rod it doesn't get much use Mostly cause I can fish anywhere I want to with my Fly rod ( I fish mostly High Mountain Lakes and Streams Most of which are thick with Brush). Out here in Colorado there are some places that you can only fish with a FLY not a lure. As to your Catch & Release we all so have what are called Gold Metal waters here as well and they are C&R Only and if you want to Catch a BIG trout you fish there.
    I don't think there are that many fish killed heres why Most Fly's today are tied useing Barbless hooks Do your Lures have that?
    Do some fish get killed I'm sure some do, Some times that can't be helped If that Fisherman doesn't keep that fish I would hope that he Gives it to someone that would, Some fish mite die after it is released and come up down stream if that happens then some other wildlife get a easy dinner.
    I will Catch& Release when I don't need the Fish or when I fish the Gold Metal waters, When I'm camping I will keep the Fish I Catch unless I'm Fishing Gold Metal Rivers.

When it comes down to the Equipment You can spend a lot of cash or you can't Do you need to spend a lot no you don't
    I have one Fly Rod that cost 300$ and a 40$ reel All together I have Four Graphite rods and two Bamboo Rods my Bamboo are 30yrs old if not more and they fish quite nicely So much for getting a new Rod every Five years.
    I tie my own Flys as well and I'll be making my own Rods soon too. So OVER time I mite have 1000 in all my stuff I've bought some at Pawn shops and at yard sales and such. But I know I don't need 600$ Fly Rod or a 400$ reel. I also do not need a 10,000$ or more Boat just to fish as some people think they need.

I can't answer why ALL the Fly Fisherman you run across won't talk to you maybe they see something about you I don't know. I don't have a problem talking with them or anyone for that matter.
    I did take your post over to a Fly Fishing site to get their input I didn't want to Berate you everyone has their Opinion however Goofy it may seem. So if you want to read what other Fly Fisher's had to say to your post. Another place I ask you to go to is Trout Unlimited Maybe then you'll get some Education on trout habitats. You mite even learn just what most not ALL mind you but most Fly Fishers work at. And why a lot of them Catch & Release. But I think you mite go at this with a closed mind. I've gotten the impression that your stuck in a deep rut and think you way is the better way.
    I think in the end it comes down to ( Each His Own ) For me I love the Challenge of Fly Fishing. Does Fly Fishing take some time and Skill to learn yes it does but anyone can learn unless they are inadept at doing so.

As I said I didn't want to berate you I do think you could use some education on this matter though. Take some time and go over to F.A.O.L and see what they had to say about this. I couldn't get a link to the BB so you would have to go in through the main page.

Eric

5. Highlander

So Mark
    Did you get the Cortland outfit? What size rod a line? I'm guessing it's a 9ft 6wt I know Cortland makes good fly lines but as to their rods I don't know. You should come up for the Show it's Jan. 3,4,5 I'll be going on Saturday if you want more info on it I'll send you a link
    other than that I need to head down to the Springs to drop off some late X-Mass stuff.

Eric

6. landsmasher

Yes I use barbless hooks where it is catch and release only. I also use them in other spots where you can take certain limits but barbless is required. At one place you can keep up to two fish. They have to be at least 12 inches long but you can not keep over 24 inches all tole. (both fish) Goofy law...

Maybe I see more of these puritists here in California than you do in the rest of the "Normal" world. And I agree "to each their own"... I just can't stand the attitude of most of the fly fishers I see here. Believe it or not there is one sporting goods store in the area that gives lessons on fly fishing and tieing and he walks his group around the stream areas and puts every spinning rod fisherman down he sees pointing us out and giving us sh!t out loud.

I bet I got a heck of a lot of flack from my post that you dropped into that BB so I'm going to try to go take a look now.

My motto is: Catchem and Eat em... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. landsmasher

WOAH! Yes I certainly stepped in it with that post. Took a look at your board and got everything I expected from the post. Of course it's a little one sided in there and they did get a few things confused by not reading it right. I didn't say I caught 100 fish per day. I said I witnessed the fly fishers doing it. And I have to admit that they were mostly stockers so who cares. And yes I miss-spelled Purist...

The whole idea is that here in "Yuppie Land" people become obsessed with the latest fad and our local areas have become over run with fly fishers and their float tubes. I'm sure that most of the rest of the "Normal World" is different and maybe I should wander out of my back yard and get myself educated by taking a look at the rest of these people and how they conduct themselves on the waters.

The people on your board seem like a nice enough bunch and I wish some of them could come here and see just what I'm talking about. Opinions are like diapers and mine is no different. All I did was relate my experiences so far and I'm sure that the guy that posted this topic will make up his own mind and not agree with me totally just from my post.

BTW I don't use bait in fresh water, however it's a good way to teach a kid to fish because it's nice for them to have a good first time experience at successfull fishing so he might want to keep doing it.

Good fishing to you and if you are ever in CA and would like to see what I'm talking about then give me a hollar this summer and I'll take you there. I'll even intorduce you to the "Purist" owner of Brocks Sporting Goods in Bishop and you can make up your own mind as to what I'm talking about. There is some really good wheeling in the area also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Highlander

I didn't think it was that bad. Most was said good naturedly Most everyone on the that site are good people and will help out anyway they can just about like CK5 if people here Flamed people for just asking a simple question. I wouldn't stay same with FAOL.

I see you went over there it wasn't to bad and your right you do live in the land of yuppie's
    In some ways you could put this subject in the same category as Ford vs Chevy or Jeep vs Toyota it will always go on
    Now I mite tease you about your setup and you mite do the same to me Oh well it's all in fun
    When it comes to the Shop owner he can bite me no matter what He should not be doing that, As we all know thats just not right.

And if I get back out your way I will give you a shout. And if you should ever want to leave the Dark side let me know I'll send /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

9. landsmasher

Ya, I was thinking the same thing about how we all tease each other about our different rigs and all. Just delete flyrods and insert 4wd vehicles and the messages are pretty much the same...

I'm planning a cross country trip in my K5 for this summer. Going to try to stop and meet as many CK5ers as possible along the way. When I'm ready I'll put up a post to get some addys from different folks to meet and I will have my fishing gear with me. Maybe we can have a "Fish Off"...

Did you post my reply in that board?

10. Highlander

Well if you come though Colorado do Look me up I know of a neat little beaver pond that has some nice Cutt's better make it late in the year around late July or Aug. It mite be still snowed in, And that gives me time to get the Blood Sucker running.

No I didn't post your reply over there what I did was make a link from there to here, Mostly becuase one of them thought it me that said all that and I thought it was better to have them come over and see the whole thing. And it worked One of them just E-mailed to say he was a little to harsh on your post.
    I know more of them will come over to see it as well, It is just all a misunderstanding here anyway, It's to bad that you have to put up with men like the Shop owner. We are all after the same thing... Trout or some other fish, You use a different Rod than I, So what
    By the way did you notice that a lot of those guys were at one time Spinner fisher?
    I will leave you with one of the postings after one of them came over here

Cethern,
    I followed your link to that other board and read what was written after the gentleman paid us a visit; it was then that I went back and re-read my comments. I am somewhat ashamed of my words at that time, I reacted to his post without much thought, just impulse. I apologize to the gentleman. I think he came away with a positive impression of what we have here. The other gentleman, the fly fishing instructor, does not represent what I think we all should be which is kind and considerate of others. Therefore I think landsmasher's feelings are genuine but misguided. I would welcome both of those gentlemen to visit this board anytime as long as they are true gentlemen in our presence. Who knows maybe we could get landsmasher to try a fly.

Dream the Life, Live the Dream

Jerry

Not to bad eh?

Keep in touch so when you head out this way we can do some wheeling and Fishing

Eric
    Oh I have a spare Fly Rod you can use /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. landsmasher

No problem there Eric. After re-reading my original post I realized that I really had no business even replying to him as my post had nothing to do with his question... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Guess I was just releasing some bad mojo built up by my last involvement with Ffishers. Yes I did notice that most of them started out as spinner fishermen. That would make sense seeing as how this is how most people are introduced to fishing by their parents, and who would start a kid off with a fly... Well some might... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to go to Telluride once a year for a hang gliding meet. Always brought my rod but never kept any of the fish because of the warnings on the water about polution from mines. Do you have that problem where you are?

Thanks for posting that persons reply... Much different attitude towards spinners than I am used to. BTW when I first walked into that guys shop in Bishop and asked if he could rebuild my reel, he looked at me and pointed to the west saying "The ocean is thataway bud". I had no idea what he was talking about untill I noticed that there was nothing but fly fishing equipment in there. The next time I saw him was on the Owens Valley River leading his group and doing what I told you about. Nice guy eh?

Will keep in touch /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And ya, I'll try a fly!

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Fly fishing is not that difficult. It just takes a little practice.
    Many local comiunity colleges offer classes on it. And its something to do in the winter till fishing season opens.
    Or get a hold of the Dpt of fish and Game. They sometimes sponser beginning classes out on some water if you want to learn how.
    Fly Fishing is fun rewarding and best of all Tasty.
    There is really no mystque to it like some would have you believe. Fish are very stupid creatures and will bite on most anything. Some fish I believe are suicidal and cant wait to be caught.
    The only creature that is probabally dumber than a fish is the one that will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to catch a fish then throw it back. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maby I could see it for a 800 Lb Marlin or something that is a real chalenge to catch. But not for a stinking trout that can be caught on a string and a safety pin.
    I never really understood the catch and release thing. If you are not going to catch it, kill it and eat it. Why bother it ????
    It seems kind of unethical to me to catch a fish and turn it loose so someone else can try to rip its face off. Much better to keep it and eat it. espeacally if its BIG. Smoked trout is very tasty and it takes a lot to fill my smoker /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW I'v been in that fly shop in Bishop. Landsmasher is right the guy is a jerk . I cant believe how many arrogant bastards there are in Calif waving fly rods around. They give a bad name to the rest of us. Thats why when I go to Calif I took his advice mostly fish in the Ocean.(yes I have a 10,000 dollar boat /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) The fishing is better and the people are real.
    Jeez i hope I didn't mispeeel anything /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh. Larry. If your trip takes you across Nevada on I -80 thru Elko and you want to fish. Drop me a PM. Fishing around here is fantastic. Screw the trout I'll get you into as many Bass as you can catch. But if you like trout we get them up to 10 lbs pretty regularly.

13. landsmasher

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BTW I'v been in that fly shop in Bishop. Landsmasher is right the guy is a jerk . I cant believe how many arrogant bastards there are in Calif waving fly rods around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you SOOOOO much! I will most certainly get out there to see you in Elko. Guess what? I graduated from Gardnerville High School in 68 and our basket ball team used to travel there to play against you guys... Would be great to get back. You will see me this summer... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Great! Let me know when yur coming. I can usually find time for a fishing trip.
    Mid June- July is the best time to fish the Ruby Marshes.
    Life ain't complete till you'v dropped a line there. I caught a 5 lb Brown on a fly rod there a few years ago and thats a small one /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But it was still a thrill. There are some humongous fish in there.

PicsRuby marsh fishing

But I mostly use spinning rods and go for for the Bass.
    I hope you dont mind fishing with a........
    [​IMG]
    Fish Hog...... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. landsmasher

Geeesh... Well I sure won't be stopping in BISHOP! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Highlander

Come on and tell the truth you used TNT right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    But that is a lot of fish good job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

17. landsmasher

Well we certainly did a good job of hijacking THIS thread from Burblover... I hope he got something out of this... Geeesh.. Fishermen... Ya can't take em anywheres... [​IMG]

18. Highlander

Yea we sure did. Sorry about that Mark /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

19. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

No biggie!!! I'm just looking forward to getting out this year more than last. My wife starts a new job 6 Jan with no more weekends &amp; off at 3:30 every day. Lokks like we'll be heading into the mtn's every Friday or so around 4 for some camping, fishing, &amp; four-wheeling!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I guess the thread hijackers strike again.
    Back to the subject.
    One on the easist ways I have found to learn how to cast is from a float tube. It is a lot less frustrating when first learning.
    Bobbing around in a lake, You can practice your presentation with out all the hangups that occur on the shore and spend more time with your line in the water and less time cussing.
    It is a very relaxing way to fish. (unless its windy)
    Untill you learn which flys to use to match the bugs the fish are eating.I have found that having a good assortment of Wolly worms in green black and brown with a red tails will catch fish almost anywhere. Bass even like them. It is my favorite all around fly.

Eric
    Nope no TNT, although I have been tempted to give the old "Dupont Sure Shot" A try a time or two /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Caught those on jigs and anchovys at Lake Powell on President"s Day weekend a couple of years ago No limit on Stripers there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Had to get on the water first thing in the AM while it was still dark.
    As soon as it first started getting light. The stripers just went nuts for about an hour.