Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fly wheel troubles.....need help fast***finished it today****

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

MY Blazer started making some very bad sounds yesterday. I just got out form under it and found that the fly plate is broken in two places. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

here are my questions:

#1- any way to replace it with out loosining everything up and moving it back?

#2- got 2 different prices....one for $13.99 (Auto Zone) and one for $31.99 (form a small independent place).....any difference in quality i should be concerned with?

#3- Is this common?

#4- what usually causes this to happen?

Thanks in advance!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: Fly wheel troubles.....need help fast

1. caused by the starter grinding away on it.
    B. no way to fiw it w/o moving it all, IIRC
    4. I would get a good one from summitt
    *Not too common

edit: still need to learn to speel/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1) You can unbolt the converter and slide it back into the transmission a bit, but I don't think you will be able to get a tool on the crank bolts. Even if you can, it will likely be an open end, and you won't be able to break them loose. I'd imagine unbolting both driveshafts, the crossmember, the bellhousing bolts, and the torque converter, with a floor jack holding transmission t-case assembly against the frame, you could "walk" the assembly back a few inches (after disconnecting the shift linkage, etc) enough to get a socket wrench on the bolt.

2) I believe I've started seeing "heavy duty" flexplates. Not a bad idea I guess.

3) as far as being a "typical" problem, I say yes it is, among Chevy's anyways. I've seen it a few times, even on a late 80's 350.

4) I think it's just the stress placed on thin metal. The last one I saw broken the center section had completely ripped free, and would turn independently of the outer section. I would imagine that loose torque converter bolts wouldn't help either.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Summit sells SFI approved flexplates for around $50. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Just did my flywheel.. same problem cracked in 3 places.. I bought the heavy duty from AZ for $54.00 it is beefier and is new not reman'd.. I bought two 6" bolts from Home Depot, after removing the tranny bolts from the block I used the 6" ones, one on each side (the bottom holes) of the tranny and then removed my transfer case mounts and rear drive shaft.. then slid the tranny back... it gave me enough room to get a breaker bar in there to remove the fly wheel to crank bolts.. locktite everything and used new bolts.. total time just under 4 hours.. tranny shop wanted $250.00 plus parts...

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Registered Member

Your gonna have to take the hole shabang out to get the flywheel swapped. At least from my experience. I did have one that was cracked and I ended up waiting till the tranny gave out. I wouldnt recommend it though. Holy flyin flywheels batman.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is a common problem with GM vehicles.
    There are heavy duty flexplates available.
    This can happen for several reasons
    (1) Loose tranny to engine bolts.
    (2) Loose flexplate bolts.
    (3) Loose torque converter bolts.
    (4) Bad torque converter ( torque converter ballooning causing forward pressure on flexplate. )
    (5) Improper starter.
    (6) Old age.
    The most common problem is from any one of the bolts becoming loose.

8. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all that responded!!

Did the fly wheel today. Took about 4 hours start to finish. I was lucky enough not to have to drop the tranny. I was able to move the tranny back enough to get at the bolts (about 2 inches) Glad i did it today when i did! When i took the fly wheel off the whole center of the F.W. was broken out and stayed on on the engine. lucky i made it plowing last time it snowed, it was starting to make some noise.