Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flying lessons?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by indiana88, Dec 2, 2003.

1. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

Anyone on here have a private license? I am thinking about taking lessons. I have been checking out some websites, it looks like it will cost about 6 to 8 grand depending on the type of license I want. I can only find one school in Indiana. Are there any good forums? I used to go skydiving before I got married and had a baby and I always wanted to fly. I am getting a pretty good year end $ bonus and want some opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

friend of mine does it out of westfeild, he's certified instuctor and has an ultralight. He does ground school and then 20 some hours in the air with you to get your licence. His names Eric. I'll send him you info if your interested? He's offroad_nut on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'd like to know what all is involved. How do you go about renting planes after you get a license. Costs...stuff like that. I don't want to get a license and then not be able to afford to fly anywhere.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

From my buddy...
    [ QUOTE ]
    he wants his private pilot's license for GA (General Aviation) I don't
    train for that I only do ultralights. He needs to contact any major
    airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry I'm not up on the flying thing.. I have 20 king pilot videos and three book to go threw.

(erics not a member so he cant post in the non so he emailed me)

5. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Your best bet would be to check out any airports in your area, most will have a flight school. If you want I can check with the flight school next to my hanger and see how much they charge for a private license just to give you an idea.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Did you check the Anderson airport? I'm pretty sure they give lessons there. My Dad knows a guy who is a pilot, but I'm not sure if he's an instructor. I could find some stuff out here in a couple weeks if you want. If you don't know where the airport is, it's easy to find, just take 109/Scatterfield to 32/University Blvd., then turn right/east and the airport is about 1.5 miles on your right, just a little past the funeral home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    before I got married and had a baby

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just in case you haven't considered indirect costs... Most life insurance policies specifically exclude a payout in the event of a death while piloting a small plane. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So find out what it will cost you to have enough of the proper insurance to provide for your family if the worst were to happen. Private pilots have a statistically high death rate, so their life insurance costs considerably more than for the population at large. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Private pilots have a statistically high death rate,

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they fly and maintain their airplanes the same way they drive and maintain their cars. Like complete idiots. Especially doctors... I've lost more friends to airplane crashes over the last 23 years than to skydiving accidents. Except for the ride up in the airplane, skydiving is actually pretty safe nowadays. A sack of potatoes can do it safely now.

I just lost a dear friend to a plane crash 2 weeks ago. She had her license for over a year and was an avid skydiver. She took off in front of her husband in a Cessna 185. Her husband was to follow in a 210. She radioed back just a minute later that she had encountered fog and was turning back. She was not IFR rated. Next her husband heard her say she was losing power and then silence. The plane was found 4 hours later in a field. She didn't survive the crash.

Any sort of activity in the air can NOT be considered safe unless the person doing it is fully understanding of the potential for disaster. Training, diligence and caution are of the utmost importance. The ground and other obsticles are not very forgiving. If you're going be stupid, you'd better be tough.

9. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

10. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just in case you haven't considered indirect costs... Most life insurance policies specifically exclude a payout in the event of a death while piloting a small plane. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So find out what it will cost you to have enough of the proper insurance to provide for your family if the worst were to happen. Private pilots have a statistically high death rate, so their life insurance costs considerably more than for the population at large. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know all about that. I had to check into that when I started SCUBA diving. I'm just doing a little fact checking right now. I was hoping to find an unbiased opinion before I went to talk to an instructor that wants my money.
    There is risk in everything that you do. One of the main reasons I would like to fly is that my wife and I have a lot of family in Tennessee and Alabama. It seems like we have a near death experience at least once every time we get on I-65 South. I have lost several friends that I used to ride my Harley with, just a couple of years ago I lost my little brother and two of his friends in a tragic traffic accident. It just makes me realize that I need to live while I have the chance.

11. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I am only a student but I have always loved planes and will be doing the same thing in the future (always comes down to $$$). I joined something called Civil Air Patrol which is basically an extension of the United States Air Force to educate civilians about flight and help advance them toward being a pilot.

now im not saying thats what you should do, only that I know there are several programs similar to this out there. They not only offer the training you need but also scholarships to flight schools and other member benefits. Try to get information about clubs and training programs from the airport, if its anything like were in NY, there should be a lot of oppertunites and people to answer your questions. Good luck
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private pilots have a statistically high death rate,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's because they fly and maintain their airplanes the same way they drive and maintain their cars. Like complete idiots. Especially doctors...

[/ QUOTE ]

When a GA crash is due to pilot error, the usual cause is the pilot's lack of skill or experience in dealing with the situation at hand. Flying into bad weather, on the other hand, is preventable 99% of the time.

Your average GA pilot isn't licensed (or qualified, for that matter...) to perform anything more than minor maintenance on an aircraft without direct supervision by a licensed A&P technician. Unfortunately, in their quest to save a few bucks, some GA pilots decide that they can get the parts cheaper, and do the work themselves. Little do they know that most of the cheap parts are cheap for a reason - they're not FAA-approved, unairworthy counterfeits, timed-out parts with fresh paint and a new dataplate, or just poorly repaired/reworked/overhauled. Rarely do these pilots have the proper tools for the job (torque wrenches, safetywire pliers, etc.), and even rarer is the pilot who has seen what the aircraft's maintenance manual has to say about the task they're attempting.

13. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

One of my jumping buddies is an A&P at a local airport here. He's also the FBO. His wife is a certified instructor and she teaches when shes not captining an MD80 back and forth to Hawaii. SHe is also a jumper.

The stories I hear from these two about the things that people come to them and want them to do to airplanes is very scary to say the least. I hear these stories on a weekly basis. With what people do to their aircraft he's wondering why more aren't dropping out of the sky.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, sometimes it's scary being in this business and hearing (or seeing...) some of the shadiness that goes on.

15. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Thats the truth it really is a tribute to the design of most G/A aircraft that idiots can do all kinds of stupid stuff and they keep on flying. Ive got a Civil Air Patrol shweitzer glider in the shop and it looks like we probly end up scraping it. The thing hasnt flown since its last inspection but its such a unmaintained POS we looking at over $25000 to make it airworthy again. Who was the genius that fiqured it was ok paint a fabric covered A/C with house paint. Ok im done ranting I could go on for hours.