Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flywheel bent?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Mar 29, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes at high speeds, or acceleration...basically higher RPM's, there is a really wierd sound coming from my engine area...sounds like a vibration of some sort...also, my starter sometimes makes that nasty grinding sound when I try to start it...could these be caused by a bent or out of balance flywheel? My flywheel is under warranty from my tranny rebuild, so it'll be free to replace if its bad, just wanted to know.

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

You can pull off the dust cover and take a look at it. I had a cracked flexplate once, the engine made an RPM related ticking noise that went away while the engine was under load. After a while, the input seal to the transmission started leaking from the torque converter moving around.

BTW, automatics have flexplates. Flywheels are for manual trans.

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

Could be

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard of a bent flywheel or flexplate, but I've heard if cracked ones. If it's cracked it will stick under engine load.