Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel booboo

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RLBstein, Apr 18, 2002.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

When I installed my rebuilt transmission, I mad one fatal mistake. I mounted it backwards (it will go on pretty easy that suprisingly) When I torqued down the torque converter bolts, and started it up, I cant even explain the horrible grinding noise I achieved. When i removed the trans again and installed the flywheel correctly, the damage had been done. I warped the flywheel.
    I still have it installed that way but can still hear, especially at idle, a chirping noise where the flywheel hits either the starter gear or the housing. (haven't figured out which yet). I cant install my lower bell housing now because it really grinds it.
    So now that I told you this big long story, my question is.....
    Where can I get another flywheel for this thing, and can I use an aftermarket one, or maybe one from another vehicle (i.e. chevy 350) Thanks

2. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

No you can not use a 350 flywheel. It has to be a 139tooth diesel flywheel.

why don't you just buy my flywheel off me... it comes with a th400/np208 attached with it!! only $300. what a deal! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

It's not a flywheel. It's a flexplate. Flywheels can have clutches bolted to them and flexplates get bolted to torque converters... Common mistake.

You can usually find them on e-bay pretty cheap. When you buy a used one, common flaws to look for are cracks around the bolt holes and damaged teeth. And be careful not to buy a flywheel when you need a flexplate.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I bought a new diesel flexplate from the local auto supply. It was a while back, so I've forgotten the price, but it was quite reasonable, not expensive at all.

Casey