Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel cover question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, May 1, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I was working on the truck with a friend of mine, he owns a 79 Bronco XLT, when he looked underneath my truck, he noticed that I didn't have a "flywheel cover". He said water and sand and other crap could be getting in there and messing things up w/o that cover. I've never heard about this stuff before, what is he talking about? Is he right? Where can I get one?
    Thanks

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yes,,he's right,, I just ordered one from a chevy dealer about 30 mins ago.. $17.00

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Had a bolt head get sheared off because a rock flew up and lodged between the teeth. You need one on road or off road.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

4. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

Dude that cover is a must! Just bolted on a new clutch and my flywheel was in excellant condition because of that little horse shoe cover.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Torque convertor cover . Yes by all means get one . GM still sells them or else you could do damage to the torque con. or the seals .

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

glad to read all of this, I never thought that they were important so I never botherd picking one up. our local parts stores sell the chrome ones for around 10 dollars, I just need somthing to keep the rocks out right? I suppose I could even run to the wrecking yard and pick one up [​IMG]
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just for the record, the one on my 88 (700r4 & 350tbi) has a super thick alum. one that looks strong enough to support the entire weight of the friggin pig of a truck its on. The thing weighs about 20lbs!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

As Corey said, the newer trucks (automatics) use a heavy aluminum cover. This cover has bosses where two rods bolt on that extend up to the motor mounts. I think this is to stiffen the drivetrain (torsionally) because the transfer cases do not have any kind of frame mount.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. Boss

Todd,

What was the part # for the fly wheel cover? I just called a local chevy dealer for that and the guy was like, we don't carry nothing like that, click. Idiots I tell you. If you can get me the part #, it would be much appreciated. Thanks brother.
    Boss

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Customer service suggestion:
    Call up dealer and say something like, "I would like to price replacement floormats for my 2000 Suburban." Then say, "Oh, yeah, what about a flywheel cover for my '88 Blazer"

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

11. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Just a thought, GM is very particular about the name of their parts and products. I belive that they are acutally called "Flywheel Inspection Cover". That may help. I'll craw under my truck and see if there is a number stamped into the outside of it. Its a pain to pull it though...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you get tired of dealing with the dealer, try Summit. I think they have a chrome one.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

13. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss,
    Part Number: 14038632 All it says is: Cover

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

14. Boss

Todd,
    Thanks man. I just called them up again and ordered it. The guy was like, "yeah, its some type of cover, I can have that here by tomorrow." Same guy that told me they carry no such thing. Anyways, it was $22 for me. That was for a TH350 right? I asked they guy that and he told me yeah, but he didn't sound confident in his answer.
    Boss

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The same cover should fit 350, 400 and 700 trannys. Let us know if you get the correct part, as $22 for that aluminum cover sounds too cheap from Chevy. My guess is it'll be the stamped steel one, but please let us know!

ken

16. Boss

Thanks for the info Ken. I will definately let yall know if its Steel or Aluminum and if it fits right by tomorrow night or the next day.
    Boss

17. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

No,, it's not the heavy duty aluminum one with the brace bars. Yes, I have a 350,, haven't put it on yet so dont' know how it fits yet.
    The guy at the dealership I go to is super cool,, he never charges me list for anything and throws in little parts and pieces for nothing. So $22.00 to my $17.00 is about right. The guy even let me take the cover without paying for it. I'm waiting on an oil pressure gauge and told him I would just pay for them at the same time, so hold on to it,,, he said Naaawwww just take it with you and we'll square up later.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you have an Auto tranny, you can get by without one. I haven't had one on mine for over a year and I do alot of wheelin.
    Summit has chrome cover for $29..

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

19. Boss

Hey Emettology 101,

Just wondering, why can you get by with out a cover with an auto tranny? When I was underneath the truck I saw that w/o the cover, it look like anything could fling up and get caught in there. But now that I have the cover, I have more of a peace of mind now.
    Boss

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With a manual, you have the clutch disc and pressure plate exposed. And that would leave the clutch disc exposed to water easier which would cause slipping.

On an auto, you only have the Torque converter to worry about. Everything is selaed so you dont have to worry about water. the only thing you need to worry about is hit the convertor on an object. I have ran my Blazer without a cover for at least a year and I have experienced no problems except a few scratches and marks on my convertor which do not pose a problem.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club