Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel Dustcover? Where to get one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bobsurf, Aug 20, 2002.

1. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Title pretty much says it all. Don't know if it's stock on the 203/TH350/350ci combo, but the Flywheel is sitting out there for all to see (and rock to hit). Does someone make a cover for it? Junkyard? Etc? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Thanks in advance.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you want a new one go to the dealer, a used one can be had from the bone yard.
    Jim

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Wow, you got a flywheel on an Auto! That must be an interesting tranny /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Seriously, this may not apply to the flexplate cover, but when I needed the lywheel cover for my 465 I checked out the local wrecker, they wanted about $25 for it. Then I called the dealer, they wanted like $15 for a brand new one. I got the new one... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

4. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Errrr .... uhhhhhhhh ... Yeah ...... Flexplate, that's the ticket. I guess that's what happens when you're a Auto Trans noob. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Dam thing looked like a good old fashioned flywheel /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Anyway, thanks guys, at least I know what to ask/look for now.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Be sure to get one for a 4wd. It is heavy duty alluminum, and if I'm correct, the 2wd covers are just thin sheetmetal.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

And use 6 bolts to fasten to the tranny housing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

There's a big heavy monster freaking thick piece of aluminum that goes there. It's got to weigh ten pounds. Don't get a sheetmetal one. They aren't worth the hammer to dent them.

Don't go wheelin' without one. I've seen many a TH350s bite the dust because the inspection cover had gone AWOL. "Dude, check this out, there's red [censored] squirtin' out of the top of my transmission!". That was a guy named Dan. He got a tow home that night. But hey, he had six fewer bolts to remove since there was no inspection cover.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a flywheel cover for my 465 when I bought my ram horns. It was $10 plus the shipping charge.
    It's thin sheetmetal, but it looks like it will keep most of the crap out. Haven't installed it yet.
    If someone needs a pic or P/N I can email it - the thing's still sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off of my ass.
    -- Mike

9. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Muchas Gracias everybody /forums/images/icons/cool.gif