Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flywheel / ED: clutch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Sep 17, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I have a flywheel and clutch off a 1979 350 (a 2 piece rear main seal correct?)

And I want to put the flywheel and clutch onto my 1990 350 (1 piece rear main seal)

After doing some research I'm confused...do I need a new flywheel?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yes. All 1985 and before SB chevy engines were internally balanced.The 86-up flywheels have a counterweight, required by the crankshaft for the engine to be balanced. The bolt pattern is also a little different.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:doah: Thanks for that.

Since I have to buy a new flywheel do I have to buy a new clutch? Are they different between the two styles of flywhees? Is there a measurement you can take with a caliper to see how worn a clutch is...or how do you tell how much life a clutch has in it by looking at it? Should I replace it anyways since everything's apart? :doah:

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would replace it while it's apart. I hear the Napa Gold clutches are good.

I also read that the style pressure plate you have with the 3 prongs is hard on the leg.

5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to hi jack but does nyone have the part # for the new style flywheel

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Yeah, my 3 prong style replacement clutch sucked. The centerforce I have now is 10 million times better in every way :D

7. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

What sucked about your 3 prong style clutch? Was it just the force required to push the pedal or something else? Reason I ask is because that is what I installed on my K5(not driveable yet). I want to know what I have to look forward too. Thanks.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It was a NAPA replacement clutch (3 prong pressure plate). Compared to the original one (140K) that was in the truck it felt alot better. When I built the 383 I replaced the NAPA clutch with a centerforce II. The centerforce engages smoother, has less pedal effort and can grab WAY harder if it needs to. I am a big fan of centerforce clutches :D.