Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel for a 383

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by CaveBlazin, Feb 27, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just what it says that means I need a 400 sbc flywheel I have a SM465. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have seen new ones on Ebay for $100 and I have also seen add on balance plates for about $25 there as well but not sure how good they would work.

3. CaveBlazin

I hear the balance plates are crap especially when your gonna be adding HP and torque???

4. CaveBlazin

These must be tuff to come by /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a 350 manual flywheel that was balanced for a 383. You can see the holes drilled in it for the balancing. If I sell my 383 I'll probably sell the flywheel.

Theres a wrecking yard here in Spokane, Wa. that I bought a new SB400 manual flywheel from for about $100, all ready to go. I think they might have a website. Its called Spaldings Auto Parts.

6. CaveBlazin

Can you do that with a 350 flywheel thats news to me. If so I have a 350 flywheel???? Anybody done that guess I better post this question in the garage.... THanks

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I got it from a friend of mine who works at an engine shop. He said it came off a 383 and showed me the areas where metal was taken out of it so that it was balanced for a 383 (SB400). I asked him a few times to make sure. When I got it home, I compared it to my SB400 flywheel I have for another motor, and the places it was drilled are on the exact opposite side the extra balance weight is on the other flywheel. So it kind of made sense to me. Maybe you could call a machine shop/engine shop and ask if they can do that to your 350 flywheel. I know they can zero balance stuff.