Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flywheel, junking, gov lock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Apr 12, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

3 part post:

1 - Yesterday, I started my truck and after a nasty nasty grinding sound, the started just spun. I had ground off about 1/4 the teeth on my flywheel. What the heck happened and do I really have to drop the tranny to replace this flywheel???? Please tell me there is an easier way.

2 - I am ready to scrap my parts truck but I need suggestions on what to do with it. Currently, it rolls but I want to keep the axles under it. I also have no title for it. How can I get this thing to the junkyard and still keep the axles. Also, who will take it without a title?

3 - Any reason I shouldn't take the gov lock carrier from my unused rear 10 bolt and put it in the front 10 bolt currently under the truck? I assume that it does not matter what gear set the ring and pinion are right? The carrier will be the same, or am I mistaken?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

1. yes you have to drop tranny

2. what kind of truck is the parts truck, what axle ? you can find someone with a trailer that will take it for scrap minus the axle, we do it all the time here, without title even,
    but thats here though..

3. yes, gov lok are junk, worthless, maybe you can strip the gov lok parts from the carrier and be fine though

good luck

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It possible....

You CAN change a flexplate from an automatic tranny without pulling the tranny completely off,by using long bolts in the bellhousing to slide the trans/transfer case back enough by removing the crossmember bolts,shifter linkages,speedo cable,and possibly the tranny cooler lines--use a floor jack to support everthing by the crossmember(a flat plate,or a tranny jack adapter that goes in the place of the "saddle" you can chain the whole mess too is highly reccomended!)..

.But since this is 75% of the work to take the tranny out completely,its a toss up whether its "quicker" or less work..we do many GM's on the lift this way without pulling the tranny right out completely,but it is difficult getting at the bolts in the crank holding the flexplate on...if its a standard tranny,it would be easier to just pull the tranny and transfer case right out...or the motor--one guy I know just pulls the motor forward a few inches instead,he claims its easier--I'm not sure I agree--its a PITA job either way if you ask me...

As for junking a vehicle with no title--here its supposedly illegal,but I see many get flattenned into a ball with a front end loader and stuffed inside another vehicle thats got a title--or they cut them into small peices that no longer resemble a vehicle...one place I junked a cab at just had me get the VIN tag off it and turn it in to the guy at the office,where I collected my $12.62 cents for it a few years ago :screwy: I'm junking a truck too--but I have the title--hate to turn it in though!...

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

The only reason I am hesistant to even touch this project is that I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to the clutch assembly. I would get to the point of putting it all back together and wouldn't know how to align the clutch or anything... Sucks too cause the truck is all ready to go wheeling - if I could only start the engine!