Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel noise? somethings hitting, help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Jan 10, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was driving down a road from school to work and heard a little wierd noise like something in my engine hit something else, this was at about 3,000 RPMs in third gear. I shut off my radio and didn't hear anything so I kept on going. When I got to work I heard an odd noise and something felt weird in my clutch. I revved it up and realize something was suddenlly hitting. When I rev my engine it sounds like something in the area of the flywheel is hitting. I was thinking like the flywheel hitting the dust cover but the dust cover isn't dented or anything so I don't know how that could be. When I rev it up I can feel everytime I hear the noise I feel it in my clutch(I love mechanical clutches). The whole way home from work it was doing this. Even with the clutch fully depressed I feel whatever is hitting in my clutch. Its quite loud and very annoying and definetally not right. Can anyone help?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It could be a number of thing depending on how the noise is.
    Either a spring is broken in the clutch disc, or there is something wrong with the thow out bearing, or the one of the forks is broken but then it will vibrate when you start moving until the pedal is all the way up.
    If you the diafraghm style not the 3 leged you might have a few teeth broken.
    Now this is a long shot but you could have a rock in the cover and it's hitting the teeth of the flywheel.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

being the genius I am I forgot that manuals don't ahve dust covers. Anyway yeah thats what I was fearing, part of my clutch breaking. Damn I was suppossed to go wheeling a little tonight and out to dinner for my friend who is moving. Got to see what my dad thinks.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry flexplate, I was thinking there wasn't a difference forgot there is. Anyway my dad thinks its the clutch to and seeing as its 4wd and all he told me that it will be easier to pull the motor than to drop the transmission so we are gonna pull the engine and swap it for another one we have sitting in the garage. Gives me a chance to lose a lot of that emissions crap, put my headers on, change the motor mounts, and put in the new clutch. Luckily my dad is a Small Block Chevy parts collector(junk collector) so I have a complete engine and a really nice race 11" clutch tahts going in.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Souns like you may need to invest in a throwout bearing to me. You should be able to see into the bell housing at the inspection cover and see it, if you don't have a hydraulic clutch pull the rubber boot away where the fork goes into the bell housing and peek in at the bearing. If it is blueish it is shot, or if it is in pieces of course,,,,it's shot.

It only takes a couple of hours to change one......

John

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am pulling the engine tomorrow. Like I said gives me an excuse to get rid of my horriblly beat engine. I don't know what it is cause it shifts just fine. Once or twice I thought I felt the clutch slip today. I have never felt it slip that I know of previouslly. Like I said we are a SBC parts depot, I have a complete engine and about 5 clutches waiting. People kept saying maybe my flexplate was loose but I think things would be a bit worse off if taht were true.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I forget what it's called, but it's a shaft that goes over the input shaft that the TO bearing rides on. I spent a day replacing my clutch, then spent the next day replacing that part cos it broke in half /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif At least look at it closely.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am in the midst of pulling my tired old engine for a new one in the garage. We will see if its the clutch or a part of that assembly tomorrow morning. I am not so sure anymore because on my way home from work this morning(I had to drive the old dog to work) everytime I let the rpms fall below 1000 the oil pressure warning light came on. SO now I think it really is the engine. Oh well a new clutch wouldn't hurt any.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thrust bearings in the engine. Crank is walking back and forth.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Let us know what you found. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I spent the day pulling out my engine. Replacing my tired old 305 with a 350 I had sitting around the garage. Clutch looks fine, well its shot but no defects. Puting in a new flexplate and clutch and hoping to god my engine was cooked and its not the transmission. I know what you mean about the input shaft problem, my one friend had it happen to his 91 Chevy with a 5 speed. He pulled it and put in an SM465. It is a very similar sound to that. But it happens even when the clutch is full depressed and thrown out and I hit the throttle. As well the oil pressure issue. Also when that happened to my buddy his truck wouldn't stay in gear for long without like grinding stuff unless he was in fourth gear being 1:1. Mine doesn't grind and it doesn't go away in 4th gear.