Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flywheel problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jun 26, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

my newer 350 i got has a fly wheel that is about a half and inch smaller in diamter than my flywheel from my 305. they flywheel on the 350 was cracked so i wanted to swap them.

1st problem was that the center hole from the 305 wheel was smaller. then i noticed the wheel from the 305 was smaller in total diameter.

now how do i know what to get for a new flywheel? im worried that if i get the same flywheel that was on the 350, it wopnt match up to the 700r4. (the 350 was out of a car)

so, what are my options before i make a hundred trips to napa so i get the righ tfly wheel for the engine and tranny?

now can the piece that the flywheel mounts to be removed and switched over?

thanks guys

tom

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It might help at the parts house if you call what you are looking for a "flexplate" instead of a "flywheel" - flexplates are used on automatics and flywheels are used on manual tranny's . I am not trying to be picky but it might confuse your parts person .
    As far as I know the 1986 and up engines use a one piece rear main seal crank and there fore a smaller diameter crank bolt pattern where the flexplate/flywheel mates to it .
    There is also a 168 tooth count and a smaller 153 tooth count - make sure of which one you have . I would think your truck should have come with a one piece rear main ( newer style ) flexplate and a 168 tooth count .
    Flexplates are fairly cheap so don't get caught up with a delay when a new one is not that exspensive .
    Good luck , Tom

EDIT: After re-reading your post it sounds like you need a 1985 and OLDER two piece flexplate that is 168 tooth count - just use a 1985 K-20 as your application and the parts store should be able to fix you right up .

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it wont match up to the 700r4.

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't a flywheel on the face of the planet that would match up to a 700 seeing as how autos use flexplates and manuals use flywheels.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ya beat me to it! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so if i just tell them i need a flexplate for a 86 350, it should be the right one? im just hoping that the part where the flexplate mounts is the same. i know my 305 flexplate was to small to get over it.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

NO - You need a 1985 and OLDER fexplate . Tom