Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

flywheel/starter trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris1972, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Chris1972

Chris1972 Registered Member

Well i put in my new engine 406cid with a new AD delco starter and the old flywheel and when i cranck the engine i get a VERY DISTURBING sound from the starter/flywheel.
    I caled a local expert and he said i should try using shims
    to lower the starter, that made the sound even worse.
    I am using a std. 168 toth 400 smallblock but it looks like the gear on the starter is "rougher" then the flywheel.
    Acording to my knowlage there are only 2 types of flywheel
    a 153 and a 168. Please give me some advice....

Chris

www.broadpark.no/~csteinsv/

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

a 400 small block chevy is externally balanced. what did you do????? did you grab the flywheel from your old 350/305???? did you just throw one up there??? did you just grab any small block starter??? forget the freakin shims!!! find out what starter you have!! they all have numbers. take it out and go to a reputable parts place, and have them look up a starter for a 400 and then match it. Or just have them look up your starter number. If you keep starting the truck with the F'ed up starter/flywheel combo, you will crack the flywheel. tell us where you got your flywheel and starter from. forget about the teeth, its the application of flywheel to starter when you match them both. Also flywheels for the SBC do have two different teeth possibilities, But I do not think the 400 does, (someone here may know better), so my guess, you have an internally balanced flywheel up there or you have a starter for the opposite flywheel, OK!!! GOOD LUCK , post more I'll try to help you more....js

3. Chris1972

The flywheel is a balanced 400SB including the weight. The starter is new for the 400 engine it is conected with 2 bolts of identical lenght to the engine block.

Chris

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

are you sure they gave you the correct flywheel? Are you sure the starter is right?? One of them is wrong. Just hope its the starter thats wrong, because changing the flywheel in the truck is a pain in the A$$. By the way if the starter is new, in the box the proper shims would be present if required. does the motor run smooth when its running?? At idle??? revving it???? under load??? ......................js

5. Chris1972

I bought an engine block 400cid, i threw all of the internal components away and got new ones. EVERY THING exept the flywheel. As far as i know there is only one starter that will fit a 400 (engine nr.3951509) and a 168 toth flywheel. The engine hasnt been started after the rebuild.
    I have verified the starter number as beeing correct, so in my head there has to be at least 2 types of 168 toth flywheel.
    Anyway i have orderd a new one externaly balanced from a
    local race engine builder. Hope that helps.
    The engine has cost me about 3500$ so far os i might as well do the rest. After all the flywheel is cheap compared to the rest of the endine.

Chris

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

some starter have to be(milled down to fit)dont ask why they just do ,take a file and shave the surface about a 1/16 or so then try it ,the mechs at work file them till the surface is smooth all the way across getting rid of the shallow spot then they shim accordingly.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i monkeyed with mine for a while before i gave up and paid my local mech to do it right.
    nary a sound since.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Chris1972

Thanks guys???
    Problen solved i grinded off the starter and
    also the flywheel center hole was worn so when i cranked
    the engine it twisded in the hole about 1/16 inch.
    Replaced it and it sounds good now.

Chris