Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Flywheel/torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, Jun 4, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

How the hell do i get my fly wheel and torque converter off after i've pulled my motor. The SOB will not comeoff.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Not trying to be a D*&k did you remove the bolts that hold the converter to the flywheel? After that the torque converter should fall off. and you will see 5 or 6 bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank flange on the engine.

Hope that helps.

Ira

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ya here comes the annoying stuff like you should have taken the torque converter off before pulling the motor. Motor probly would have come out easier too. But I wont go there. The only thing I can say is use a good impact wrench. If thats not available you might get 'em off if you have a buddy use a large breaker bar on the blancer/damper bolt. Good Luck!! :o

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Oh maybe I missunderstood his question. I am not trying to start anything though. Im a lover not a fighter :D

5. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

No, i can't get the bolts off the Torque converter, i know how to remove it. It just that the bolts are starting to round off. IT SUCKS

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If they are rounding off they need to be replaced anyhow so just gind then off and use vice grips to get the remainder out of the torque converter once it is off. Or as was stated an impact gun if you have one. Other than that I dunno maybe someone else will have an idea.

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I got this really cool tool set for Christmas. Its from Craftsman. Its kinda like a socket set but its desigen for old rounded, beat up bolts. Might want to check into that.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Use a 6 point socket if you aren't doing that already, 12 points slip too much with heavy loads.