Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

F'n spyware... McAfee -vs- Norton -> poll

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by az-k5, Oct 17, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

F\'n spyware... McAfee -vs- Norton -> poll

Well I just upgraded to XP (from 98 1st edition) and I have big issue with that spyware crap. I ran one of those free scan things (probably just gave me more problems I don't know about). It says 50-sum files are found and 21 are active. I am not that good with computers, a decent novice but I don't enjoy their complexity.

Thanx

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: F\'n spyware... McAfee -vs- Norton -> poll

My $.02, but I wouldn't trust McAfee for nothing, I've had more troubles with that than any other virus scanner out there. I've been using Norton for 3 yrs now and have never had any troubles.

As far as spyware crap, get and run Spybot and Ad-aware /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

Download.com has a lot of free stuff. I use this!

It is very easy to use and I have never had a problem with it!
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Never use "Panda Anti-virus", you will need to reformat to uninstall it.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

2 WORDS----- mozilla firefox /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I HATE NORTON. IT NEVER DELETES ANYTHING!

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the link. I used it and it seems to have worked. I am still interested in input on this. So keep the ideas coming. I also searched around on the geek tech forums (their words not mine) and found that it is often a toss up on McAfee vs Norton, they are both awsome in some spots but lacking in others, and are opposite in those areas. That and they don't get along when put on a computer together.
    Thanx again...

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Matt , I use Netscape 7.1 which blocks pop ups ( same as Mozilla but polished ) . I use Norton antivirus in stand alone form for virus duty , and I run Adaware ( free ) periodically to flush any accumulated crap , and I use Sygate firewall to stop outgoing programs like RealPlayer etc . A good idea is also a Hardware firewall , but I haven't had a chance or more than two bits in awhile . My setup works great . Oh and if you upgraded to XP and didn't say yes to change to NT filesystem , you should change soon , adds to the stability of your system /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've had both. I prefer Norton.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Trend Micro PC Cillin
    It has everything you need in one package. Works good for me. Dont have fork over money to renew your subscription every year like you have to do with Norton. Updates/upgrades are free.
    I also have a hardware firewall.

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I have never used a stand alone virus program and never will. They are system hogs. If you are careful about what ya do, and surf smartly, you won't have any problems. There are a few little utilities that I use once in awhile for some piece of mind.

HiJackThis
    Spybot - Search & Destroy v1.2
    CWShredder
    AdAware 6
    Stinger

Those all work great and they don't run in the background all the time sucking up resources. Run the program, let it do it's thing, and your done. Close the program.

Btw, this forum is an AWESOME place to go to find help with this kinda stuff. I've posted there a few times myself lookin for help.

Cyber Tech Help Support Forums

12. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanx for the link. I used it and it seems to have worked. I am still interested in input on this. So keep the ideas coming. I also searched around on the geek tech forums (their words not mine) and found that it is often a toss up on McAfee vs Norton, they are both awsome in some spots but lacking in others, and are opposite in those areas. That and they don't get along when put on a computer together.
    Thanx again...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using Norton System Works for years and It has never let me down! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I also despise Norton. It is like a virus itself. Once it is in the computer, good luck getting it all out. It takes over and infiltrates everything and causes conflicts. I prefer McAfee, but at work they use Trend Micro which supposedly is pretty good.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use Norton corp version (symantec now). I love it, I've never experienced a problem with it yet. It runs in the background and never uses more than 1% cpu time or 9mb memory (outlook uses over 16mb). It screwed me a couple times when our corporate office took over administration of it and somehow did something that crashed a server, but not any worse than any other piece of remote manglement software...

Years ago we used mcaffee, and they would occasionally put out junk updates. Imagine coming in to work one day and every single computer user calling you saying thier computer is not working, and you having to physically go to every computer and boot to a dos disk to remove the bad AV update. Even less fun on NTFS machines. Even less fun considering I was responsible for two different sites that both went down simultaneously.

I would get Symantec's, but not a full suite of software, just the antivirus. The other stuff that over-integrates with the Explorer shell is what will start sucking up resources.