Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FNG

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MTK5, Mar 19, 2002.

1. MTK5

MTK5 Newbie

New guy to this site and have a few questions that I'm sure are beat to death, but here it goes:

Have a 1985 K5 Jimmy and looking to add some bits and pieces. I have already swapped in a crate GM 350 in place of the 305 and had the tranny gone through at the same time so it runs like a top.

1) I have identified the front and rear axles as GM 10-bolt's but have no idea as to what the gearing is. Can someone point me in the right direction for possible resources for decoding the gear ratio?

2) I've been thinking about putting a 4" lift on the rig and some 35x12.50's on the stock wheels (love the classic look of those). Are the 10 bolt axles up to the abuse that 35's will put on them? Suggestions of what to change out if they're not would be helpful (not interested in swapping axles). Extreme off-roading isn't what I'm after, just some height to bust through snow drifts.

3) Recommended paint type/brands for re-squirting the fiberglass top. It's starting to peel and bleed off when it rains and a little preventative maintenance is in order.

Sorry for the long 1st post.... this is a great site!!

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

To figure out what gears ou have, pull the rear diff. cover and cont teh number of teeth on the ring rear and teh count the number of teeth on the pinion gear...then divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinioin and you have your ratio (like 45/11= 4.10 gear ratio) If you don't wheel too hard your stock 10 bolts should be fine...If you wanna wheel a little harder and not fear breakage, you can upgrade the axleshafts and u-joint to stronger Chromoly ones...No idea on the paint...

Chris

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Welcome!!!

1) The ratio is stamped into the gear so you don't have to count them. Also your glovebox door should have the codes in it with what it came with.

2)10 bolts will hold up to 35's if you are light on the skinny pedal.

3) no idea on paint..yank it off and get a soft top in the color of your choice,LOL

4. BUSCO

BUSCO Registered Member

OK I have an Idea for the paint.It's called Bri -top.You can usually find it at a marine supply store or a place that deals with detailing.I think it comes in white,black,blue and grey.I used it on mine and it looks great,no problems at all.It is messy to put on though,you have to use a sponge applicator.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

How did you prep the top for the paint. Mine bleeds like crazy!!!

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I run 35's, 4" lift, crate 350. My tires never caused a problem until I romped on it in low range once, got some good traction and out went the spider gears in the rear diff. Oh well, was an easy fix. Your stock gears are probably 3.08, 3.42, or 3.73. I really dont think any of those should strain your axles too much??
    One thing that looks nice when re-painting the hard top is to sand all of the sandy texture down. Makes it look nice and shiny like the sheet metal.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) what they said about counting teeth... or, if your rig is stock, you could just check the thingy in your glove box which lists all the features your rig had from the factory. Gear ratio is listed on the one in my 85, it was 3.73 from the factory.

2) 10 bolts can handle 35s just fine, especially if you dont do anything extreme with respect to wheeling. There are lots of things you can do to beef a 10-bolt, but if u dont plan on heavy duty wheeling, I wouldnt worry about it. Heck, there are rigs sitting on 44 boggers on 10bolts. It would only work on road... but thats the stated goal, so its no biggie.

3) I'd just herculine the thing. Its cheap and wont bubble/peel like paint would.

J

8. MTK5

MTK5 Newbie

Thanks to all who responded!

I never thought of giving the data in the glovebox a second look, I always assumed it told you how to engage 4wd (I've swapped to manual hubs anyway). Besides, the only reason I'm in there is for my "license and registration please".

The info on the 10 bolt axles is what I expected. It seems as if it's 50/50 on opinions. But, as I said, it won't be used for hard wheeling just driving to the mountains in winter and fishing accesses in summer. If I get the itch to wheel hard I look to my Unimog for that.

One more question, and I did search the archives this time. What is the wheel width of the stock wheels? I have read 7" or 8" and there's some sort of code stamped on the wheel. The only legible item I saw was a "12" stamped near the valve stem. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the info!

9. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Glove Box codes:
    GU4 - 3.08
    GU6 - 3.42
    GT4(or 5X1) - 3.73
    GT5(or GT8) - 4.10
    G80- Limited Slip

IF they are not listed, your best bet is to pull the cover and look for the #'s stamped in the ring gear.

The 10B's should hold up fine for your uses with the 35's.

IIRC, The stock steel rallys are 15x8, the stock alum wheels are 15x7.

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Lol, yeah. Why does everyone isnist on counting the teeth on the gears when the numbers are stamped right on the ring gear. 41 11 would indicate 3.73 41 ring teeth divided by 11 pinion teeth.

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even pull the diff cover to find the ratios. Just jack up one tire, put the tranny in neutral (blocked tires), and spin the tire around twice while counting the # of spins of the drive shaft, and that is your ratio. You woun't be able to count to exactly 3.73 or anything like that, just if it goes a little over three and a half, but not four, then it is 3.73, or whatever count you get.

as for the stock rims, mine are 6" wide

12. jekbrown

dont worry about the 10 bolts for the type of use you are talking about, they will be fine. swapping axles will cost cash, they weigh more (lower mpg), and they have less ground clearance. Might as well stick with the 10 bolts. Dont listen to the few peeps here that are religiously anti-10-bolt... if u believe what they say, you need a trussed ff14b to safely run 33s. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

jeremy, i like your new signature.

hey man, i agree on the soft top. and the looking for the stamp or the glove box. and kinda on the 10 bolts and 35's. but i would not do it. 1 ton is the way to go.
    welcom to the virus that takes all of your money and good luck with your blazer.
    Grant

14. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is possible to figure out the gear ratio that way (wont work on mine, but thats a different story). However since he doesn't know the ratio I'd be willing to bet that the cover hasnt been removed since he got it. Chances are that the lube there needs to be changed. Seems to me that it would kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Dunno what to tell you about your 6" wheels.. The stock alum ones on my old 87 were 15x7 .. the stock steel rallys on my current 87 are 15x8.

15. MTK5

MTK5 Newbie

The trusty glove box tells me I have a 3.73 ratio. That's what I figured.

I'm going to throw the 35's on the stock (now confirmed 15x8" rally) wheels and use the 10 bolts until they explode. This rig won't see too much abuse anyway. I have a friend with a non-running military Blazer (CUCV) that has been sitting and slowly sinking in his yard for years. I'll try and talk him out of that thing when/if the 10 bolts go T.U.

I'll look into the paint issue, but for now it's no use as it's snowing again (which is fine, ski season gets extended!!). The soft top is a good idea, but 3' of snow and ass-cold nights would lead to a short life span.

THANKS!

16. jekbrown

my 10 bolts have never had problems with 35s, even on trails and crap. Never broken a part yet. On-road you'll be a-ok.

J

17. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Weisel, Jacking up just one tire wont work, you need to have both of them off the ground and turn both of them. It sounds wierd but his is how it goes. If you just jack one tire up it will turn like one turn for about one turn of the yoke. I think the spider gears in the diff have some type of gear reducing effect.