Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Focking theives

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Nov 27, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Just got a call that the coils were stolen from the a/c unit on the house we are selling and closing on Thursday. :angry1: From what I can gather from neighbors, it happened 2-3 weeks ago and nobody noticed or said anything until now. We were also the only house out of about 10 vacants in the neighborhood that this happened to. This just reinforces why we moved. I feel like shooting someone.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

keep an eye out on your local craigslist for something like them, or local type adds in the paper, not sure if they's sell them on there, or just take it for scrap for the aluminum,,, it does suck though.

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Eh, it's the copper. Scrap prices are at an all time high and everyone I've talked to has said that the stealing of the a/c unit coils is out of control in Houston right now. I'm sure it's happening all over the country though. Mine have already been through the shredder I'm sure.

Having moved out of state and all, I have to take care of everything over the phone. One of my buddies went to the house and said everything was still there except the coils. What really sucks is that we were already paying about $3k out of pocket at closing, now it's another $1100 or so on top of that. The deducible on our insurance is more than what it's probably going to cost to fix it so I get to just bend over.......:rolleyes:

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Would the coils happen to be copper?

You get $3.00 + a pound for it. I read somewhere that people were stealing copper name plates of tombstones to sell for scrap. Now that's ****ed up!:mad:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

metal theives here too...been busy..

A rash of metal thievery here too lately---drug addicts are stealing copper,aluminum,and anything else they can get their paws on around here..even whole vehicles!..

A bunch of cars at a local Wal-Mart had their catalitic converters sawsalled off,while the owners were shopping here recently..some bring 200 bucks at scrap dealers..Subaru's mostly..if you own one,watch where you park it!..

A cop in my town filed a report claiming his sons Dodge conversion van was stolen from his yard--it was found crushed at a scrapyard ,2 towns away!,,the suspect who junked it was arrested--and admitted taking TWELVE other cars at various locations!..(and some guy knocked on MY door wanting to know if I would sell MY van last month!--wonder if it was HIM!??:doah: )..

A huge bronze plaque honoring WW1 vets was nearly stolen at a park recently--someone evidently spent hours trying to chisel it from its huge granite base!--luckily a maintenence worker saw the damage,and its now under 24 hr surveiliance..

They have even stolen aluminum street lamp poles,car rims,and copper from old buildings roofs and gutters too!..some houses slated for demolition were stripped of all plumbing,as well as many new homes under construction..huge rolls of brand new wire stolen from the phone company and electric company too...

Over 90 housebreaks the past month in 2 nearby towns!..some suspects caught,but breaks still occouring too..

I keep my scrap pile away from easy acess,and out of sight--cash it in often to prevent pilfering...I have none waiting to be scrapped right now,I cashed it in last month to get rid of it while prices were higher and before snow flies..

All I know is since heroin and crack became an epidemic here,we practically never had these kinds of crimes..glad they are slowly catching the theives--just hope they lock them up more than a few days for being crooks..:crazy:

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

musta been tweakers............

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Jesus what is this country coming to? I would hope that the guys at the scrap yards would notice name plates from tombstones and alert the authorities.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

big problem here, this is from today's paper:

Thieves pull off copper capers

[​IMG]
    Dean Humphrey

When Ed Salisbury, a local welder, strode out to his truck on a recent morning, he immediately knew something was amiss."I was walking out to go to work, and I saw my tailgate down and said, 'Wow, I didn't leave my tailgate down last night,' " Salisbury said.
    > Full story
    > Comment

The price of copper has more than doubled in the past two years. Randy VanGundy, above, sorts through bright copper wire at his Grand Junction recycling center. His business has become more cautious in buying the metal.

9. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I replied in a thread on here not too long ago about a mexican I saw in Houston with a pickup (with 30-day tags none the less) bed FULL of converters with fresh sawsall marks and a 3-ton floor jack right along with them. I wish I was a cop, I would have found a reason to pull him over just to make sure he had a legit (yeah right!) reason to have all of them. Makes me sick that all these fockers can't work for their money. Instead they have to steal from those who often times are struggling to make ends meet.

10. diesel4me

"crack"- ing down..

The scrapyards around here are now changing their policies--most that will take cars without titles, now only pay 80 bucks a ton VS 110 for those with titles--and ALL who scraps any metals or especially untitled vehicles, must show a photo I.D.,and they also take your name,phone # and licence #,and your licence plate #...some are putting cameras at the scales so suspected theives can be caught on tape ...so getting away with it wont be so easy as in past months..

I live near 13 brand new car dealerships..just about every day in the police log ,I read of rims,stereos,and even whole cars being stolen right out of the dealers lots!...but when I asked around at them about getting a job being a night watchmen,they said "no,we're not hiring any security gaurds--we have insurance,and its the COPS job to watch for theives..why should we PAY someone??....:surepal: .

One crack dealer who got busted recently in the town my friends shop is in,was found to be in posession of a whole garage full of stolen merchandise--everything from VCR's,Camcorders,Stereos,Plasma screen TV sets,riding lawnmowers,other yard equipment,and hundreds of other items!--over 20 grand in all!...

..but the police say it will be months before its all "inventoried"--and warn anyone who's already recived payment for the stuff from an insurance company will be arrested for fraud,if the attempt to re-claim their stolen merchandise!..I guess maybe the "victims" are addicts that arranged for the stuff to dissapear,and hoped to not only get paid insurance money,but get it BACK too!...:crazy:

I swear crooks work harder than honest people do,just to make LESS than they would at a "real" job..not to mention the RISK!..but they do it anyway...:mad:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The "complete lack of personal responsibility" generation has come to fruition.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You sir are correct. And they are close behind me so I'll never get away.

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Long as they don't get close enough to penetrate. :D

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That's the problem...they're starting to be able to vote....

San Antonio had 4 churches that had their A/C units stolen for the copper inside. Churches for crying out loud.

15. diesel4me

Here too!..

Theives ransacked a CHURCH in Taunton MA, a few weeks ago--took all the candleholders,money from the pastors office,and computers,just about everything that was not bolted down!...a few thousand dollars loss total..

I think I know where they will be going on judgement day...:mad:

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

To try and steal the pearly gates???:haha: :haha: :haha: