Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fog Lights and Driving Lights - Installation and Wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Jan 13, 2004.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Tech article posted in the Advanced Previews section. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

But how would you wire a set of pencil beams Like I have?

[​IMG]

Nice write up! look forward to seeing the pictures.

3. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    But how would you wire a set of pencil beams Like I have?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Easy! Just insert them in place of the driving lights in the schematic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But be sure to leave the main switches turned off so you don't accidentally melt those covers to the lenses! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry, I think Grimmy needs a row of 5 more Hella's across the top! (maybe i've been watching to much Paris to Dakar!!) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Not to Hi-jack, but Grim what do you think of the Rally 4000's?

I found a decent price on them and was thinking about those for my Aux. High Beams.

6. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Harry, I think Grimmy needs a row of 5 more Hella's across the top! (maybe i've been watching to much Paris to Dakar!!) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Been trying to get that one past the wife. She's real impressed with the Hella Ralley 1000's especailly as bad as the high beams were (they are tied in to come on with highbeams) I got those on a trade for a couple hours of labor as well as the 550's under the bumper.

I'm all over the Dakar. Got my 3 year old reciting Tatra, MANN, DAF, Kamaz and UNIMOG. I'm trying to build a prerunner Burb(ish) vehicle that I actually have a burb I could get cheap. Wife doesn't want another project around here. Got to many already. I'm actully thinking of selling my beloved 1970 LeMans convertable. LOL

7. Grim-Reaper

I think the 4,000's replaced the 1,000's. If they are anything like my 1,000's they are awsome!

My 1,000's are a "Euro Beam". Doesn't throw the beam as far as the pencil beams but it puts any head light highs, including my Hella Rally "DOT illegal" H4's I had in my Supra to shame. My neighbors hate me. I have 440 (110watt bulbs in the 1,000's and 55 on each of the stock highs) watts of high beams now. LOL

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Cool, I plan on using the Hella off road replacement composite headlights in the Burb, since it has 450's and 550's right now. But my stupid van really needs some help now, and I think thats where the 4000's will go along with a set of 550's for aux. low/fog beams. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

OK just priced out the whole set up (2) Rally 4000's w/ 130w bulbs and stone sheilds, (2) 550's w/100w bulbs, stone sheilds and the harnesses for the 4000's = $531.51 + tax and S/H

It's a lot of money but worth it in the long run. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. HarryH3

That's some COOL stuff! Even my 4-year-old son is now switching the TV over to the Speed Channel a few times each day to see what's on. We were watching yesterday when they showed some of the really big trucks blasting through the deep sand. One of them had a slanted back and he asked me why they would be racing garbage trucks in the desert! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good job!

One option I'll throw out there that I found worked well for a switch - buy a standard dimmer switch for a 70's K5 as the actuator. No more fumbling around for the switch, just kick it and the lights are on or off.

For multiple sets this might be an issue, tho you could put them side by side, but for one set this is a great way to turn on and off the lights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Harry,
    Speaking of lights, wasn't there a post/thread on here a zillion years ago about converting the 4-light 89/91 sealed beams to some H3/H7 sytle? Auto Optic or some such thing? I'm hunting for a link to them, and it's not in the link-list... no search...
    Figured you're accomplished memory might have it??!!
    doh!!!! answered my own question with a tad more research... AutoOptiks /url]
    Dang you're good! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. ol beater

ol beater Registered Member

Here in Alaska Moose can be a huge problem on the roads. The only way to see them before it is too late is with big off road lights. We call them "Moose lights."

The State Troopers don't care if you use big lights on the highways. In fact they even have them on their patrol cars and trucks. As long as you don't blind anyone, it isn't a problem.

I have run moose lights for years on my trucks. I have found it is best to wire them directly to the high beams so you don't have to fumble with other switches in order to turn them off. A toggle switch is used to turn them off when you don't want them to come on with the high beams.
    [image]http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/electrical/zj_lighting/schematic%202.jpg[/image]

I have had great luck with the Lightforce 240
    [image]http://www.lightforceusa.com/rmdl240.html[/image].

They are definitely not cheap, but are extremely versitile.
    They have an adjustable beam that ranges from flood to pencil beams. Also, there are different lenses you can put on them for varying conditions. I have an amber set for fog, a blue set for snow, and a clear set for all other conditions.

I hardly ever endorse products of any kind, but lightforce is the exception. A superior product deserves a good reputation.

13. HarryH3

Wow, those look sweet! But holy pie plate Batman, that "9.5-inch Diameter" is huge! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Those things might cause cooling problems in warm climates. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. ol beater

ol beater Registered Member

I agree. Fairbanks can hit 100 f in the summer.

I mounted the lights with the thought that I may need all the cooling that I can get. I was able to mount them on the bumper with very little intrusion into the radiator area.

At 1,000,000 candle power each, they nearly make the roadway look like daylight for about 1000 feet. They have also saved my a$$ from hitting moose.

15. HarryH3

FINALLY! Pics and updated text available in the Tech Forum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif