Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fog lights aren't working electrical help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Mar 18, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Fog lights aren\'t working electrical help needed

I have a set of amber fog light that look factory option. A while back I hooked them up into the fuse grid where my CB was. I had planned to just swich out the hotwires if I needed to use the CB. But when I got a new stereo the guys at CarToys hardwired in the CB. One day I was driving around with them on an they suddenly died. The bulbs are fine, the rocker switch doesn't light, the ground is tight to the dash panel, the fuse is good, and the wire is tightly clamped in the blade connector. I checked the wire from the firewall to the lights and it's all good. This is reaaly frustrating and I'm seriously considering ripping the whole thing out and starting from scratch /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys (and ladies)!

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Re: Fog lights aren\'t working electrical help needed

Did you test for power at the fuse? At the light? Checked the socket at the lamp?

Might want to hook up a jumper with an inline fuse from the lamp to the battery and see if it works. If so, then you can eliminate the lamp and move backwards from there.

3. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

You may have fried the switch. Most switches are made to handle less than 15 Amps and those lights probably use more amps than that. Try a new switch and you may want to consider using a relay to lessen the electrical load on the circuit inside the cab.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I agree with outsider223. It really sounds like your switch went bad. Take his advice and get a new switch and relay and see if that works. I had the same problem with a set I had on my '72 I had in high school. put a new switch in and it worked fine. just my .02