Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fog lights

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Mar 2, 2006.

?

Fog lights

1. I live in a fog... who needs lights

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. I drive with my fog lights on all the time... they are superdee dooper cool

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. My truck with a stupid high lift is cooler with my fog lights on even tho they are useless

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. I dance nekkid in front of my fog lights

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

People piss me off :angry1:

2. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Yeah!

Especially the 'Euro trash colored lens" ones!

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run my properly aimed fog lights all the time at night. They make a phenominal difference in lighting up the ditch on either side of the road, and trust me, I'd far rather irritate the occasional driver such as yourself then nail a deer, or worse, a moose, lol

4. shewheeler

I would be a lot less irritated if there were moose or deer or ditches to worry about where I live. I had some dumbf*ck in a truck riding my ass with his fog lights on for 15 miles on a clear night on a well lit road.

I mean, come awn.... if yer gonna ride my ass, at least pull my hair :o :p: :rolleyes: :D

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats hotttt

on another note, my uncle hated fog lights, he had some aircraft landing lights on the front of his old dodge,(real bright)
    we were driving home from getting a tree for x-mas, and he said the next dumbarse with his stupid fog lights on is gonna get it.
    sure enough those things lit up the whole inside of the car
    dude in the mini van was pretty pissed:D

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

x2 on the hot thing...

And on another note...when they do that to me....I let them pass and come up behind them with my 80 watt friends.....

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Whens yer BF gonna be away again??? I needa get bone us smiles on my freaky fly... ;)

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

most of the time they are not fog lights, but driving lights....

i leave mine on ALL the time. BUT, they have also been aimed down and out a bit with some creative spacers. they work for what i need better and they dotn blind people.
    Grant

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just a little insider tip.................................

If you have driving lights, check your local laws regarding their use. In some places, it's a violation to have them on when there is oncoming traffic, or someone is in front of you. Although a fair share of vehicles these days have the lights, if you can turn them off and on, it might save the hassle of getting stopped..............................

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On a twisty, tree lined road, that I regularly see deer on, I use Hella fog lights all the time. They also work great in the rain/fog/snow.

I removed my driving lights years ago because I hardly ever used them. Because of this I usually kept them covered. This meant if I needed them and didn't plan ahead I couldn't use them anyway.

But I had to vote "nekid" because of:

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the stock fog lights on my car when there is actually fog (fairly often down here) and they make a noticible difference. The aftermarket/screwed to the bumper/way too bright and misaimed ones are a pain.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem is that no one these days aims their lights properly. They think that the lights need to illuminate tree tops. :rolleyes: The '94 Sub is wired so that the fogs come on with the low beams and the killer driving lights come on with the high beams. :eek1:

But 1) I have a pair of high quality Bosch fog lights that have a VERY precise light pattern that doesn't produce upwards glare and 2) I keep them aimed low, where they belong. I must have 'em aimed pretty good as I never get flashed. :cool1:

However, do tell us more about this:
    :bow:

13. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My fog lights are old school. Round, yellow lenses, 55W. I have them aimed to the passenger side and low. Only turn them on when its foggy or a blizzard. I am quite surprised how well the yellow light penetrates thick snowfall. I carry one of those 1,000,000 candlepower hand spotlights with me, its great for convincing folks to turn off their highbeams and driving lights.:D

14. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I had some Hella driving lights and I only used them when I didn't have someone infront of more or oncoming and mostly on the private dirt road I live on.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Get a fog light for your rear. Make sure it's either amber or red. Amber is my pref, but I mostly use it for a dust light when I'm chasing off road racers. I used it a couple times and ppl seem to get the idea.

16. shewheeler

Head lights, driving lights, fog lights... too many lights if you ask me. I can see the need for extra lights in certain situations, but when the person behind me has their lights on and their extra lights on and they are so bright that I'm nearly blinded by the glare off the inside of my own windshield, it's too many lights :doah:

Unfortunately, this particular stretch of road is a no passing zone for about 12 miles otherwise I would have just slowed down and waited for the stupidhead to pass me.

As far as my other comment about the hair pulling... some of you guys need to get yer freak on a little more often :wink1:

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well if we have to talk about the light issue, then next time try adjusting your rearview mirror til thier own light hits them in the eyes, worked for me a few times, one time I made the guy crash into the median...:whistle::D

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Unessasary and dangerous...

I have to agree...my eyes suck for night driving,and every time I go anywhere here at night,especially on the highways,I seem to ALWAYS get tailgted by some moron in a BMW,Honda,or other ricer with those damm blue tinted headlights,1000W driving lights,and foglights on..even if road conditions are dry and visibility is good!..WTF is it with these people anyway??..do they have NOTHING better to do than drive around and harass those like me who have a hard enough time seeing at night??..

I recently drove my sister home ,a 150 mile trip,twice in the past week..both times I was blinded all the way home by theese new fangled headlights,and driving lights..my eyes looked like I smoked a pound of dope when I finally got home,and my head was pounding..gave me a migraine!..:mad: :mad: :mad:

The worst offenders are Police,Fire trucks,and Ambulances..nearly every time I approach a cruiser that has someone pulled over,I'm blinded by 100,000 watts of flashing blue strobe lights,and they also shine a bulb brighter than a lighthouse in your window,and a 5 cell Maglight in your eyes, if you get pulled over too..(then they ask "whats wrong with your eyes?"..:surepal: )..duh!...

I realize its supposedly for emergency personel and public safety,but if an oncoming driver is blinded by the strobes, and they hit an officer,or end up crashing,how is that making anything safer??.. I cant see for miles after passing a cruiser,its like looking into a flashbulb of a camera..it takes several minutes for my eyes to readadjust..those night time road construction crews with their million watt halogen worklights suck too...

Thats why I try avoiding night driving..its hard enough to miss all the jerks talking on cell phones in broad daylight now,never mind doing it blinded by lights that shouldn't even BE on the cars at night....

Maybe since I can't beat them,I should join them..my Contour has poor headlights,they are tiny, and the lens covering them has clouded over some..makes it real hard to see at night,and I often have to leave the high beams on(and hardly any oncoming cars flash theirs at me,so they must not be that bright)...I'm tempted to put more headlights on it!..

I liked having a "cargo" light in the bed of my truck rigged to a toggle switch..turn THAT on when your tailgated,and they usually back off!..

Another thing that irks me while driving..I often come upon an accident scene,and a cop is directing traffic...he uses a gloved hand to signal the cars whether to go ,or stop and wait..trouble is,when he is facing you,and the sun is over his shoulder,and his hands in front of him,its nearly impossible to tell if he's waving "go ahead" or "WAIT"...more than once I was screamed at for going,when he was actually saying "WAIT!"...--some towns nearby have a little ping pong paddle looking sign they can carry,with one side painted "GREEN" with "GO" on it--the other side RED with "STOP" painted on it in reflective paint,I saw one that was lighted by a flashlight!..sure wish OUR town would get those,it will probably save a cops life..:crazy:

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've got the same ones on my '72 and they're great. Enough to see, but not blind people. They're also great using them only if you're doing a night run on logging trails. Just enough to see where you're going but not so bright they scare all the animals away and blind you from the stars.

20. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I only use my fog lights as needed.