Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fold flat rear seat for a burb?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by sled_dog, Aug 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone know of a rear seat for the burb(middle seat not third) that will fold flat into a bed of sorts. Preferablly one that would fold forward and take up the foot space. I'd like to close off the rear cargo area from the "cab" of my burb to make it better for heating in winter.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I thought the factory ones, 60/40 design did that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I know mine folded, the bottem flipped up against the front seat and the back folded down to the floor.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah i am not sure what you are looking for as you are descriping the stock bench seat.

and is your heat really that bad? mine is really hot in the cab, mabey your core is crappy or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

core is crappy I know that much. I don't have a backseat didn't know they did that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you guys mean that the seat flips forward so you can access the back or that it folds flat into a bed of sorts(sleeping bed)?

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The seat bottem folds forward against the back of the front seats (it's hinged on the front at the floor), then the seat back folds down to extend the cargo floor with no gap.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ah yeah see thats not what I'm talking about.

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I guess I fail to understand what you're looking for then. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifI just figured it out! You want a seat like in the rear of a van then.

Hmmm, I've seen them for crewcab trucks before, coversions not factory though.
    V-Sales might have them or a place that they have a link to.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I think what he is trying to find out is if the 2nd row seat folded to where the backrest folded backwards into the cargo area to where both cushioned portions of the seat were facing the roof to act like a sleeping bed. To answer the question, if that is what you are looking for....no, they never did that or offered it for that matter. Cause of the way the floor is, they folded forward making for a longer cargo area.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I figured that was what he wanted.
    And I know GM never offered that option, but I have seen that kind of seat in conversion crew cab pickups before and I would assume that new mounts could be fabbed up to allow it to be used in a Burb in the manner he wants. I think it's kind of a cool idea if you're going to use the rear for cargo exclusivly.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ah i see what you want, a seat that folds BACK< not forward.
    i wonder if you got a seat, if you could make it up, since you dont have one ill tell you the lay out.
    the seat, is hinged on the floor and the release is just behind it on the outside of the seat.
    the back is hinged at floor level, and the the latch is at the top mounted to the sides, so the seat has a little bar and clicks into the latch.

mabey you could turn the latches around so that it will fold open not closed /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

mabey if you can see the inside of one you could see if you could make it work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'll have to go to a yard and look. The idea is, load the burb up with gear(namely for wheeling with the blazer) and park at a campsite, want to strip the cargo area just so you can sleep there? Not to mention that with the vinyl flooring int he burb I'm not afraid to set osme nasty dirty things back there I don't want to sleep on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just a thought, why not look for one of the very very very very back sofa seats you see in vans that fold down into a bed. Might be able to fab up some mounts to make one of those work /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think thats what skratch was recommending. I will look into both options.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just fold my seats down, like they do, and inflate the air mattress i carry in the Burb with me. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I do the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

me too but a permanate bed idea is cool too.

go to a yard and look for old station wagons they did that, rape one form them or see how they do it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif