Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Folks with a 241..possible clearance help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kyle89K5, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Ground clearance, as we all know, SUCKS with the 241 case. Because of this, I may have found a solution. How much interest would there be in clocking the case up a little bit to gain a little more clearance? I've got a lead on someone making rings to clock the case up a little. It would make you driveline all of about 1/2" longer, but would gain some clearance underneath.

Please let me know if anyone is interested as I will more than likely be looking into this for myself as well.

Thanks

Kyle
    89K5

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a close look at the internals of the 241 first. IIRC, the 241 has an internal pump that keeps it lubricated. I've never looked closely at how it works, but I'd think that you want to make sure that the pump can pickup oil after the case is clocked.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the clock ring also reduces shaft engagement

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The ring would only clock it a couple of degrees. Not much. Oiling wouldn't be all that much of an issue. If I was clocking it 15 degrees, then I would have a pretty bad problem. The company making these is pretty dang reputable and has done some fairly intensive testing.

Kyle
    89K5

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

???

Maybe a little on the front, but not enough to cause issues. We're talking about less than an inch of loss. Not bad. On top of that, I need a new front driveshaft anyways, why not get one a little longer.

Kyle
    89K5

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

transmission output to TC input engagement, not DS

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm with ya now. How much engaement are we talking about that the output shaft has? The degree ring is roughly 1/2" thick. IMO, not enough to make a difference, but I may be wrong. Please let me know if I am.

Kyle
    89K5

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think MJ's talking about the loss of engagement between the tranny and t-case. If the adapter is thicker than the stocker, then the splines won't engage as far. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

These are some very interesting points that I'll try and get cleared up. There are already some of these rings on the road, I'll get on the horn and see what I can dig up.

Kyle
    89K5

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

ALRIGHTY then. The ring is about 1/4" thick and is in effect a spacer, that clocks the case. It moves it about 3-5 degrees up, so oiling is not effected and due to the rather small thickness, engagement is not an issue. This is dirrect from the manufacture. These rings basically have not been released to the general public, but are being used quite a bit on their shop test rigs.

Kyle
    89K5

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have seen rings like this for sale on the net somewhere

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

How much cabbage are we talking?

Mike

Emmett says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Rumor is about a $100. Don't know for certain. They will give me tech info all day long, but nothing for price that is real specific.

It's kinda a tough call for me, frankly, I like the 241 case. It's held up well. BUT I don't wanna dump so much coin into it that it's no longer worth it. I'm already eyeing a SYE kit and new rear shaft for it. The only prb with that is that I want to use a Flange style CV off the back and getting the right peice off a dodge is kinda tough.

I guess we'll see if I hear anything back.

Kyle
    89K5