Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

follow up:Brake failure, and if i cant fix im going to buy a ricer.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Feb 15, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well Ive just about had it with the truck and i am about this close to selling it. Today I was diring long and all seemed to be ok for a while I went to the grocery store to a firneds house no proble. Well I was heading out again and I relized my truck was pulling pretty hard to the left driving and to the right when i was braking i figured it was nothing i would just drive home and check it out. Well at a stop sign i saw smoke in front of me I looked down at my forn t drivers side wheel to see smoke pouring out. I got out and stopped to survey the damage and it was clear the rotor was very very hot, you would feel the heat with your hands above the wheel.
    Since i was pretty close to home i figured i just make it home. And survey the damage there. Well by the time i had gotten home the pulling had gotten much worse and i had lost alot all pressure in my brakes. It took a few good depressions of the brake pedal before i got even the slightest pressuere and with the first depression the pedal went right the floor with very little pressure.
    I checked the master cylinder and there is still fluid to the top, What the hell is gooing on. Im 17 and this might be the last straw before i buy a god damn ricer. I need to get this resolved and I cant keep dumping money into this thing.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 1979Jimmy on 02/19/02 12:00 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Brake failure, and if i cant fix im going to buy a ricer.

Sounds like your Caliper froze. The bad peddle was probibly from boiling the brake fluid from all the heat. You might be able to get by with just replacing the caliper (about $13) and replacing the brake fluid.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your piston was sticking REALLY bad...Pull off your calipers and give em a REAL CLOSE INSPECTION...if you even have a sneaking suspicion that something is wrong, get new calipers or rebuild them...you may have jack the rotor be heating it up so much...check to see if its warped...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When I puuled the top off the master cylinder it didnt seem like the fluid was boiling. The rotor looked pretty scored do you think i could get away with just resurfacing it?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Also check the hose going to the Caliper. I had one go bad and it would let fluid in but not out, like a check valve, so once you hit your brakes the caliper got brake pressure but would not release. Pissed me off I bought a new set of calipers and it was just a stupid hose.

6. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

Your calliper stuck. You can get a set of remanufactured ones for like 10 bucks a piece. You can get one new roter for like 30$. The roter is not that hard to replace. The only hard part is knocking the lug nut posts off so that the hub and roter will seperate, but a couple wacks with a BFH will usually do it. Just use an old lugnut to hit against so you dont damage all the treads.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Take the rotor off and take it to a shop.. They will measure it and see if they can resurface it.. If the grooves are to deep. They won't do it....Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

8. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem in my jeep. But the brake pad got detached from the pad backing and so I was braking the pad rivits right into the rotor. Completly tore it apart. Let us know if your rotor has any grooves in it or if it is smooth.

Cowboy Up!

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You can see the grooves in the rotor by just looking at it.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a very small but good excuse to buy a dana 60
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got the d44 and thats good enough for me. lol, a d60 would be nice though.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hate to sound like an a$$ but it's not the truck it's the owner. I now cause I had the same thing go wrong with mine. My caliper locked up on me to, but it was from all the times that I played around in the mud and running though creekbed's. When I pulled it appart it was rusted away from all the water that got in there and the water got in there due to the fact that I never cleaned out all the old mud and all that dirt and grit ate away at the piston seal and wala brake failer. I was a tad pissed myself untill I found out it was me not the truck. On a good note though I got a rebuilt caliper with new pad's at NAPA for $26.00 and I dare you to get that price on a ricer.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

give the truck to me if you're done with it. j/k

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

14. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Bad brake hoses can also cause your calipers to stick. If there locked up to where you cant turn the wheel by hand take the wheel off and open the bleeders up on the caliper if you can turn the rotor by hand after the bleeders are open your brake hoses are bad. If you cant turn them still the caliper is frozen then.

Scott
    78blazer

15. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

You said you have a Dana 44? I have some 10 Bolt axle parts you can have. I have rotors and calipers, let me know if they'll work for you. I'm in San Clemente, 92672 zip.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

16. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey I know i know, I try my best to clean out all my parts everytime i go muding. I even boutght my own powerwasher just to do it. I guess i was just wasnt doing a good enough job and corey you dont sound like an ass just a voice of reason. Thanks for the help. I just wrote this when i was very frustrated. It seems like there is always something broken and sometimes it drives me nuts.

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ya but when our trucks break like this it is a whole lot cheaper to fix then a rice burner.[​IMG] BTW could you take a ricer through the same thing as your K5 and have it come back alive?

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

18. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain, my 83 Jimmy just started showing symptoms of problems with the caliper too but my problem is the opposite. The right caliper won't close so every time i break I have to countersteer or the truck turns left :)

I also have a 99 Galant GTZ and had an 89 BMW. I must say, if you can stick it out with the truck do so. Parts are cheap for my truck, a little pricey for my GTZ and downright friggin nuts for my BMW :) My side mirror got broke on the truck, I can replace it for $30. To replace the GTZ's, it'd be $120. The BMW is $300 hehe. Spark plug wires for the BMW, cheapest I found were $220. Whew.

19. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Also keep in mind the calipers are "floating", with piston(s) only on one side. If the caliper doesn't float, is seized on the pins, it will drag big time. I've run into this problem alot more than the actual caliper piston sticking (here in the rust belt of NE). Interesting point about the brake hose though, never ran on to that one. Great thing about 'merican trucks parts are CHEAP and brake parts are the best value per dollar on your truck.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

20. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

When you rebuild your brakes use anti seize grease. It makes a huge difference and allows the calipers to float on the pins. Don't do something drastic, keep the blazer!!!!!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim